Odd little key hole??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd little key hole??

I noticed a key hole/lock type thing down by the middle drive/shaft the other day. It appears to have a wire or two coming from it.

I have no idea what it is for. Any ideas??

Thanks!!
    1979 XS 1100F
    Daily Rider
    DIY'r
    Minneapolis,mn

Are you looking at the lock for the left side cover?

Comment

That's the sometimes-missed locking latch for the sidecover (which is why broken sidecovers are out there...). Shouldn't be any wiring attached. They'll also get gummed-up and not work with the key, another reason for broken sidecovers...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

could be

I guess it could be the side cover latch. I've never seen any side covers for these 11's. So I don't know how they attach. There is the key lock right under the seat (helmet lock i believe).

Then there is this smaller one way down right by the shaft/middle drive attached to the frame on the left side. I'm at work so I cant verify there are wires but I thought there was.
        1979 XS 1100F
        Daily Rider
        DIY'r
        Minneapolis,mn

Comment

Yes, there are wires there. That's the main chassis ground strap. Be sure both ends of that wire are clean and corrosion-free. Dab a bit of anti-sieze on both ends to prevent corrosion and assist in electrical flow.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

supercharger

Thats the key operated supercharger - just turn the key clockwise (or is it counter-clockwise?) just before you ride for an extra burst of speed!

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
            X