Bad Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Oil

I am beginning to strongly suspect the Mobil1 20w-50 for all my recent ills, Intermittent starter clutch problems, and now slipping clutch. Crazy Steve did point me in that direction but others here are using the same oil with no problems. Now i'm not so sure. It claims to have high performance additives

BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

I wouldn't use fully synthetic oil at all, myself. Or even semi-synthetic. No doubt someone will have a different view but my logic is that the bikes were designed to run on the oils available at that time...

I use 100% mineral oil from Castrol. It has low/few additives and is just a plain old mineral 20/50. I always used Castrol GTX in the 1980's.

I don't get any clutch slip and it doesn't get burnt or do anything strange. It doesn't get the white emulsified slime either. I change it every 2,000 miles (I always have on my bikes)

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

That 20w50 should be OK; I've seen problems when owners have used lighter viscosities like 10w40 or 15w50. But Mobil1 is different from regular dino oil (it will leak out easier that dino oil, don't ask me why), so changing the oil to a non-synthetic may help. Every bike is different, so what works in one may not work in another...

If your starter clutch is marginal, the extra 'slipperyness' of the synthetic may be enough to make it not work.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        That 20w50 should be OK; I've seen problems when owners have used lighter viscosities like 10w40 or 15w50. But Mobil1 is different from regular dino oil (it will leak out easier that dino oil, don't ask me why), so changing the oil to a non-synthetic may help. Every bike is different, so what works in one may not work in another...

If your starter clutch is marginal, the extra 'slipperyness' of the synthetic may be enough to make it not work.
        I called my service center and they used 10w40 synthetic Yam oil for the 1st oil change since I had the bike. I had since put over 1K miles on it with no problems. I change filter and oil and it seems like within a week my starter clutch starts acting up and a couple of hundred miles after that my clutch starts slipping.
        Unless they did not really use syn oil for the change. But that's another story.
        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Well from my experience with full synthetic oil was the same on my bike. When I first got it it ran fine with regular oil. The Starting clutch and the Clutch worked fine. But when I went to full synthetic I had clutch slippage. Went back to regular oil and has been fine since.
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

The Castrol I posted a pic of is made specifically for classic bikes. They produce a whoe range of oils, right back to vintage bikes with leather oil seals etc.

The 20/50 smells completely different from modern oil. As I said, I always used to use Castrol GTX. I thought that, still being on sale and called the same, that it would be the same oil. It isn't! I spoke to Castrol and they said modern GTX very different to the oil of the same name in the 80's. Apparently, that's why they produce the Classic oil... to cater for older bikes.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
              Well from my experience with full synthetic oil was the same on my bike. When I first got it it ran fine with regular oil. The Starting clutch and the Clutch worked fine. But when I went to full synthetic I had clutch slippage. Went back to regular oil and has been fine since.
              How soon after the oil change did you start experiencing difficulties?
              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

It seems that if you experiencing trouble with the clutch when you use synthetic it is can be solved by switching to new friction disc that have ONLY had synthetic. That is the expensive fix though, way cheaper to just stick with dino oil...
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

'nuff said.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    'nuff said.
                    What weight is that?
                    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

CatatonicBug has a couple of pics of the back of and oil container that shows what to look out for and avoid as far as additives go.

Bout a third of the way down the page.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28524
                      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                        What weight is that?
                        That's just a pic of the bottle, it shows no vicosity value. I use 20w50 but it's available in other weights also.

Castrol 4T Motocycle oil
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

if ur running full synthetic i do not suggest switching directly to the non-synthetic...unless you plan to do an entire rebuild that is...i would switch to a semi-synthetic and then move to the non-synthetic on the next oil change...Also i use yamalube 20-50...it seems to smooth out the shifting a bit...and with the age, i think it would be best to shorten times/distance between changes...
                          Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                          Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Originally posted by g15usmc View Post
                            if ur running full synthetic i do not suggest switching directly to the non-synthetic...unless you plan to do an entire rebuild that is...i would switch to a semi-synthetic and then move to the non-synthetic on the next oil change...Also i use yamalube 20-50...it seems to smooth out the shifting a bit...and with the age, i think it would be best to shorten times/distance between changes...
                            Well , I went from dino to full syn. Could that be the cause?
                            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by g15usmc View Post
                              if ur running full synthetic i do not suggest switching directly to the non-synthetic...unless you plan to do an entire rebuild that is...i would switch to a semi-synthetic and then move to the non-synthetic on the next oil change...
                              What basis do you have for this suggestion? I cant see any harm in switching directly back to regular...
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X