handlebar options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handlebar options

The swept back bars on my 80 special are a bit uncomfortable for me. They don't seem to be that conducive for handling and I want something more forward and perpendicular to the bike. For those of you that have swapped bars, what have you found to be better. Also, I've noticed that the master cylinder for the front brake is configured in such a way that the reservoir is held level on the original bars. If I opt for straight bars, this will be canted towards the center of the bike. Does this create any problems?

Originally posted by PlanetMobius View Post
    The swept back bars on my 80 special are a bit uncomfortable for me. They don't seem to be that conducive for handling and I want something more forward and perpendicular to the bike. For those of you that have swapped bars, what have you found to be better. Also, I've noticed that the master cylinder for the front brake is configured in such a way that the reservoir is held level on the original bars. If I opt for straight bars, this will be canted towards the center of the bike. Does this create any problems?
    Could switch to a standards bars and master cylinder. Easy swap and much better riding position.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Personally I like the buckhorns, but Nate is right about the standard bars as far as a change in the direction you want to go. My bike had standard bars with the Special MC when I got it and there didn't seem to be a problem.

Some have switched to Honda CB750 bars or Goldwing bars to accomodate their comfort zones.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        ..My bike had standard bars with the Special MC when I got it and there didn't seem to be a problem..
        Running the master cylinder at an angle won't hurt a thing; Harley has been using the same master on all their bikes for years, regardless of handlebar type, with no problems.

It does make checking/adding brake fluid a bit of a PITA, but just loosen the bar clamps and move the bars, then move 'em back when done...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by PlanetMobius View Post
          Hi Mobi,
          others think differently but IMHO the best use of the rototiller bars is as part of a windchime.
          But which alternative bar will fit YOU? Not necessarily the one that fits me, right?
          What to do, what to do?
          Go to a bike dealer's rack of bars or go to a bike swapmeet (every swapmeet I've ever been to has at least one vendor's table with a box of bars underneath, usually at $20 a pop.) Pick up a bar and hold it up in a riding position to see if you like it.
          And as has been said, a slanted M/C will work just fine although it could take some extra effort to add fluid without spilling any.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

ive got my mc at an angle after swapping the bars
            with out any problems, having the handle bars at full lock
            to the left and the m/c sits evenly to top up.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks guys,

that's a lot of stuff I did not know.

Comment

Handlebar Options

I have a 79 Special that had stock bars. Horrible!!! I rode my friends Honda cb900 Custom and thought the bars were great so I went to the Flanders website and ordered their replicas of the cb900 custom bars. They've been on the bike for 10 yers, never rusted and was probably the best and easiest mod I ever did to the bike.

Comment

angle OK

I have switched to CB750 bars from MikesXS - the MC was at a crazy angle but as long as its tight and not leaking seemed no worse for the wear - I have since replaced it for other reasons but fear not - see if you can sit on the bike and have someone measure where your hands are when in a comfy position and use that to find your bars -you might duct tape a hanger wire to the base of existing bars and bend till hands are perfect and measure the ends from there.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I have cb750 bars on the special now. I like them alot. They aren't as funky as the stock buckhorns. I use to have clubman bars on the old bike. I loved the way they looked but they were very low and I'm sure not for everybody.
                    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                    79 DT 100

Comment

don't forget about ape's , and you can add a ss brakeline going to the dist block for some bling! i find them very comfy as i do not nd to arch my spine like quazimoto to get around .
                      this thread bring up memories of when i first purchased my xs it had stock special bars on it , so i've ridden 20-30 different bikes and i climb on the xs excited about the jet/cam work this guy claims shes had done , start it up and had the most akward time muscling the machine to point towards the road few mins later i'm trolling home and found a straight piece of road to stretch my wrist this resulted in my ass sliding onto the passanger seat and barely holding the bars with a fingernail or two

if you goosed a bike with the stock special bars = she takes off like a rocket and she doesn't care if you come with her .
                      i went home and imedietly took the cage to buy some big ol apes and now no matter how hard i snap it i KNOW i'm going with the bike be it for better or worse...
                      79 xs eleven special
                      pods
                      jetted
                      cammed
                      pitted chrome
                      straight pipes
                      16" apes
                      +6 front
                      -2.6 rigid rear (still regret this)
                      blinkers are for slow ppl
                      http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/100_3355.jpg http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...1st2011021.jpg
                      "here for a good time NOT a long time"

Comment

cb750

garrett - my supposed cb750 bars from MikesXS do not look anything like yours..

mine look like this:
                        http://www.mikesxs.net/products-58.html#products

part 25-1083 down the page.

They have some similar to yours called clubman - was that a type of CB configuration or a style of bike like a cafe racer?

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

No, no no the pic is of the clubman bars, I have not taken any pics of the new/old bike yet.
                          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                          79 DT 100

Comment

I'm with BA80. I really like the buckhorns. probably depends on the legnth of your arms, your ht, your wt, you get the picture.

I do have a set of standard bars in case I change my mind.
                            you can mount just about any 1&7/8 in bars on these.

Ebay has all different shapes & sizes for as low as $20-25 brand new.
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I put Protapers on my 79 special...They are the contours which needed a 7/8 to 1 inch conversion for the mounting of the bars, but the actual ends are still 7/8 so you dont need to change any controls, i inverted them to make for a more aggressive stance however, I had put them on the right way and they fit nicely as well...the mounts i installed also added about a half inch of height to the risers and that made them very comfortable...bothways...heres a few pics...

Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                              Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Working...
                              X