No announcement yet.

running really rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try turning the #2 idle mixture screw out some, see if the pipe gets hot. The tip may be broken off and obstructing the passage too.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

would it be safe to turn them all in then backing them out 3 1/2 turns?

Comment

I would work on the cold cylinder first, just back that one out. If you do turn them in, not too tight the tips will snap off.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

well i dont wanna do that. haha.. but i still dont know what the sputtering would be coming from. this is my first xs1100 and i LOVE it so far.

Comment

Need more info.

Does your bike have the airbox and original pipes or has it been modified? Many have removed the airbox because they have problems getting the carbs on and off. When they do this there is always a big problem getting it to run right without them. Same for the exhaust. Some like more noise like them Hardlys so they take off the exhaust and put on some aftermarket noisemakers and then have serious problems trying to make it run right.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by WDB_xs1100s View Post
              when i try to take off really hard the bike spits and sputters until it hits that sweet spot.
              Where is that "Sweet Spot"? I'm thinking that maybe your pilot jets are still clogged, and until the main jets kick in at 3K RPM, you aren't getting enough fuel to the engine. Once the Main jets kick in, you get all the fuel you need, and it roars to life. JAT
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

the bike dont have the air box on it right now, that sweet spor im talking about is around 3k and it will smoke the back tire, i put fuel filters on the lines, ive never had this much trouble out of carburetors before would i need to set the needle higher to gice it more fuel? also my timing advance will like vibrate when i rev it up should the vacuumm line be hooked on #2 carb body? sorry about all the question, im just really new about this bike and i dont wanna mess anything up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by WDB_xs1100s View Post
                  the bike dont have the air box on it right now, that sweet spor im talking about is around 3k and it will smoke the back tire, i put fuel filters on the lines, ive never had this much trouble out of carburetors before would i need to set the needle higher to gice it more fuel? also my timing advance will like vibrate when i rev it up should the vacuumm line be hooked on #2 carb body? sorry about all the question, im just really new about this bike and i dont wanna mess anything up on it.
                  Like cbug said about 3k is where the main jets start taking over so most likely you have something clogged up or not tuned right in the idle jet circuit. Do you have pod filters on in place of the airbox? And YES the vacuum advance should be hooked to the carb body nipple and NOT to the carb intake boot nipple.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Airbox

It aint gonna run worth a s**t unless you put that airbox back on it. It contains velocity stacks which is very important, among other things needed for it to run good.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

i only have the top half of the air box.

Comment

Then you need a new airbox so that you can actually tune that thing! Plus, unfiltered air is bad!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'n not surprised the bike is running rough if you have no air filter on it, are running on unfiltered air with all the risks of dirt getting into the carbs (which it probably already has), and have OEM jets which are designed to run with an airbox and filter.
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The first time I wen through my carbs I put it all back except the air box bottom so I could see where they leaked if they did. Fired the bike up and it ran like ****e. Put that air box bottom on and it got surprisingly smoother.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I wouldn't run my engine (or any engine for that matter) without an air filter for more than a couple of minutes just to see if it will fire and run. Too much crap in the air to suck into the cylinders and sand the walls and rings down. I may even get a cheap set of pods and make some velocity stacks for engine testing, as I am planning on making an engine stand and setting it up so I can run my spare engine, but don't want to run it without an air filter (of course I have to get a TCI, carbs, carb boots and ignition coils first anyways, but that's beside the point). IMHO as soon as you know the engine runs, get the filter on there, among other things, you can't tune it right without the same intake restriction that it will run with, whatever that may be.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X