running really rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running really rough

ok guys i have another problem with my bike. i can start it up, let it warm up and will rev fine from 3grand up. i took it down the road and on take off it feels like its running off of 2 cylinders but after 3-4 grand it will pick up really quick. i have cleaned the carbs and the tank. what could possibly be doing this?

Possibly

Needs a good synchronizing (sp). Probably THE most important part of tuning your bike.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I have a similar issue. Having trouble finding someone who will do it.
      1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
      1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Comment

I do it

Unfortunately you're too far from Southern Cantaffordya.....
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by vileneeds View Post
          I have a similar issue. Having trouble finding someone who will do it.
          You can make.your own sync tool with some clear hose and some trans fluid... someone made write up on it somewhere...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WDB_xs1100s View Post
            it feels like its running off of 2 cylinders but after 3-4 grand it will pick up really quick.
            Start it up, let it run for a few minutes, then check the relative temperatures of the headers with the old "spit on a fingertip" test. You may in fact be running on two cylinders until the revs pick up. A big part of your solution will be found by discovering which header(s) is(are) cooler than the others.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by WDB_xs1100s View Post
              ok guys i have another problem with my bike. i can start it up, let it warm up and will rev fine from 3grand up. i took it down the road and on take off it feels like its running off of 2 cylinders but after 3-4 grand it will pick up really quick. i have cleaned the carbs and the tank. what could possibly be doing this?
              It sounds from what your saying that you are running on 2 cyls all the time. These engines have the power that two cyls feel normal at higher RPMs until you actually feel all 4 working once.

Check you spark plugs, are there 2 that are wet and don't seem to be firing?
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you have a bike, you should have a sync tool of some kind. Simple as that. Either make one or buy one. The carbs should be sync'd EVERY time you clean them, and some will say every time you do anything to the bike. It's amazing what a difference it makes!

The main jets kick in right around 3K, so if you determine that the engine picks up on all 4 after that point, your pilot jets are likely still clogged. That's not hard to do, with all the tiny holes in them. However, as Ken mentioned, there could be any number of things happening, and determining the actual symptoms is important.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  If you have a bike, you should have a sync tool of some kind. Simple as that.
                  I don't need one for my Sportster....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    Yeah thats true, single carbs do not need to be synced...
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      Yeah, but that's not a bike. It's a hardley.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Ok so I took the carbs off once again cand cleaned all jets. #4 cylinder jet had fallen out, but the bike still ran. The bike will spit and sputter around 2grand then pick up at 3. I put fuel filters on the carbs so it would stop the dirt and junk. I pit the carbs back on the bike and now the cylinders 1 and 2 are colder than 3 and 4 could my idle mixture screws be out of adjustment? Could anyone point me in the direction of how to make a sync tool?

Comment

You DO need to sync the carbs EVERY TIME you remove them! so yes, you will have to build or buy a sync tool. The mercury carb stix no longer use mercury, but they still work well, as you just need all 4 the same.
                          If you do a search on idle screw adjustment, you should find the well written directions on how to properly set them. The bike WILL run a LOT better once everything is correct!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

WDB, do you have fuel in the tank?

Check the simple stuff before you dive back into the carburetors!

Make sure the left fuel tap is working. Turn the fuel tap to Prime and see if the 1 & 2 carburetor pair gets better.

Do you still have the octopus (automatic fuel control valve) on your '79 Special carburetors? It has nine hoses attached to it, you can't miss it.

If you do have the octy, make sure all nine hoses are connected correctly and that the line from the octy to the lowest black tee between the 1 & 2 carburetors is supplying fuel.

The upper tee between the carburetors is the float bowl vent and there should be a hose connecting it to the air box. Make sure it's not plugged by dirt or nesting insects.

If no one has messed with the stock seat there should be a diagram/sticker on the bottom of the seat pan showing how to connect the lines to the octy.

In general, problems with pairs of cylinders can be narrowed down to fuel or spark by taking note of which cylinders are not working:

Carburetor pair 1 & 2 are fed by the left fuel tap/octy line.
                            Carburetor pair 3 & 4 are fed by the right fuel tap/octy line.

Spark plug pair 1 & 4 are connected to the left ignition coil.
                            Spark plug pair 2 & 3 are connected to the right ignition coil.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

update

ok sorry i havent gotten back in a while. i recently found out that cylinder #2 wasnt getting warm..she had fire to her and fuel. after the bike warmed up i could still grab the header pipe and not get burned. i have 140 jets in her now with the 4-1 header.does anyone know the factory air fuel mixture adustments. i'm really concerned, dont wanna hurt the motor. when i try to take off really hard the bike spits and sputters until it hits that sweet spot. this bike is really stumping me

Comment

Working...
                              X