Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this engine chatter normal with auto CCT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks BA80!!
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

+ $8 shipping. //////kinda corrolates with the name.......
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        I'll add that there is a reason that Yamaha got rid of manual cam chain adjusters, and it wasn't because their mechanics were lazy and the dealers didn't want to make money, I think they found they were failing in larger numbers than they considered acceptable and came up with a design that would not slip back and leave you with a loose chain no matter what. Just looking at the design of the thing tells me it's an accident waiting to happen.
        OK... I'm convinced. So...tell me.... what I am looking for on eBay??

Would this do it? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-Venture...item2eb5e4eba9
        Last edited by James England; 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Would this one do, do you think? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-FZR400-...item27bbd7c9da
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The first one, the Venture 1300, is what you want. Buy two, sell one for 10 and you have one for 5! would work for me!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              The first one, the Venture 1300, is what you want. Buy two, sell one for 10 and you have one for 5! would work for me!
              Nice one. I'll email and ask the cost of shipping.... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                I know for sure the XS400 had one in '80.
                Yup, my 80 XS400 has an auto cam chain adjuster AND electronic advance curve in the TCI, once year before the flagship got it (the electronic advance that is). And the plug wires are replaceable on the coils, but that does no good if the coils are bad anyways.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

As I recall also, if the noise bothers you, someone had found I believe some sort of foot in an oilproof material (viton or something) that fit snugly on the end of the auto adjuster. Don't remember who it was though. It might even have been teflon or something like that that should last just about forever.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

We also discussed that the noise was less destructive than that crap flaking off and falling into the crankcase and plugging the oil pickup screen if you remember Cy.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      We also discussed that the noise was less destructive than that crap flaking off and falling into the crankcase and plugging the oil pickup screen if you remember Cy.
                      Hey, that stuff should be heavy enough to just fall to the bottom of the pan and then drain out with the next oil change.

I think I would bother with putting anything on it, but then that's me, cause I like to hear the motor sing anyways, it covers up the stupid timing knock from the vacuum advance unit anyways (the one covered in the TSB not the one caused by hooking it up to the carb boot). Having a fairing, it's like having a megaphone pointing every little noise the engine makes right back to my ears.

It can actually be alarming. Interesting thing is, there is a decided difference between my Windjammer III and my Windjammer IV for that. The III has far less of that effect, but I like the IV better in pretty much every other respect.
                      Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      750 FD Mod
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

You should hear Brents Buell clatter. I thought it was going to blow any minute.

Makes our bikes sound like Singer sewing machines.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You should hear Brents Buell clatter. I thought it was going to blow any minute.

Makes our bikes sound like Singer sewing machines.
                          I don;t like the sound of that! I just bought the two tensioners on eBay and will one. If it really is unpleasantly noisy in operation, I'll have to see about modifying it (safely) or modifying the OEM one......

Comment

I personally haven't noticed any difference with the venture tensioner James,and I've been running mine now for over 2 years and probably 25,000 miles.

I was just commenting on Cy's post.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I personally haven't noticed any difference with the venture tensioner James,and I've been running mine now for over 2 years and probably 25,000 miles.

I was just commenting on Cy's post.
                              Oh good. Since reading the posts here, I've gone and double checked how tightly my OEM CCT bolt is tightened. How do the Venture ones work then? Obviously a spring-loaded plunger on a fine ratchet but how do you actually put the thing onto the engine? Presumably the plunger is full out by default and needs to go back in before the CCT is put on the engine? Do you have to retain the plunger at full retracted in some way, before putting it on the bike, then activate it in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                                Oh good. Since reading the posts here, I've gone and double checked how tightly my OEM CCT bolt is tightened. How do the Venture ones work then? Obviously a spring-loaded plunger on a fine ratchet but how do you actually put the thing onto the engine? Presumably the plunger is full out by default and needs to go back in before the CCT is put on the engine? Do you have to retain the plunger at full retracted in some way, before putting it on the bike, then activate it in some way?
                                You were convinced pretty easy to switch over to the dark side!

To install it you can remove the end cap and then the spring comes out, release the ratchet and depress the plunger all the way down and then bolt the new one in as you would the old . Then just put the spring and end cap back on and your good to go for a LONG time!
                                Nathan
                                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                                K&N Filter
                                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                                OEM Exhaust
                                ATK Fork Brace
                                LED Dash lights
                                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                                SS Brake Lines
                                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X