Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this engine chatter normal with auto CCT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can just get a brass nut from the auto parts store to use in place of Yamaha's "fancy" nut. The later small block Chevy uses the same studs for exhaust on their engines! I just picked up the 8mm Exhaust stud "repair pack", red and white plastic thing hanging on one of the circular racks.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Awesome!!!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
        BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ok, we officially had a "duh" moment.

We completely forgot to repair a loose header clamp thingy. Those metal round bits that secure the header to the block. One of them is missing a bolt. That's what's rattling. I had taken one to ACE to see if they had something that would work, which they didn't.

THAT'S WHAT'S RATTLING.

Haha, yep, we feel rather

I'll go back to the dealership tomorrow to see if I can order one of those weird bolts from Yamaha unless someone has another source.
        Heh heh... I was about to tell you that it sounds like an exhaust leak to me until I read through the whole thread. I couldn't watch the vid on the work computer today because of security so I had to wait until I got home.

Dam Barracuda on the work computer, I can't even see pics.

Send me a pic of what you need and I'll look in the MC salvage (my garage) and see if I have one.

What Ray is saying is true about the stud, I'm pretty sure I have some stock exhaust nuts in my bucket-o-bolts though.
        Last edited by BA80; 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

After fixing your known "rattle" Smash........"yup", you may have a slight tiny rattleing sound. Exist on all who have did the swap.....metal foot against metal guide.......not an issue....not to worry. Less noticable at 70+ with wind and helmet on......after a bit you forget about it anyways. A couple have removed theirs after some 30K looking for unusal wear........doesn't seem to be happening......your good to go!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
            BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ok, we officially had a "duh" moment.

We completely forgot to repair a loose header clamp thingy. Those metal round bits that secure the header to the block. One of them is missing a bolt. That's what's rattling. I had taken one to ACE to see if they had something that would work, which they didn't.

THAT'S WHAT'S RATTLING.

Haha, yep, we feel rather

I'll go back to the dealership tomorrow to see if I can order one of those weird bolts from Yamaha unless someone has another source.
            Full sets are on eBay. That must have been the 'tinging' I thought I could hear.

BTW. I'd still think twice re the auto tensioner.Another thing is that the padded end is a different size. As Scott has said, they are noisier.....but why? For all it takes to adjust the camchain manually (under 2 minutes), I'd keep the OEM one
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              Full sets are on eBay. That must have been the 'tinging' I thought I could hear.

BTW. I'd still think twice re the auto tensioner.Another thing is that the padded end is a different size. As Scott has said, they are noisier.....but why? For all it takes to adjust the camchain manually (under 2 minutes), I'd keep the OEM one
              There really is not much difference in actual contact surface area between the different cct's, and even at that it is really only a fraction of the plunger that hits the guide plates anyways because they contact at an angle.

Also due to the fact that it has been reported over and over again that the OEM cct has backed off some or even completely off on hard deceleration/engine braking makes me not want to have it in the engine.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Send me a pic of what you need and I'll look in the MC salvage (my garage) and see if I have one.

What Ray is saying is true about the stud, I'm pretty sure I have some stock exhaust nuts in my bucket-o-bolts though.
                Hey thanks! I'm gonna pop over to autozone (next door), if they don't have that chevy repair kit I'll hit you up!

Originally posted by James England View Post
                The biggest reason we went with an auto CCT is because the OEM manual one stripped out its threads. So, we HAD to replace it. For us, the merits of the auto CCT outweigh replacing it with an OEM unit. To each for own that's for sure!
                Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
                Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

Risky to do James.....tick....tick.....tick........not if , just when. If you took that stock tensioner off and apart, you would see what happens and you DO not even know it. That shaft WILL slip back a bit no matter how your riding it. You would see from the set marks that is happening unseen! A poor excuse for a set bolt at best. Not even properly made on the end to even qualify as a set bolt!. Besides that, a ever so slight loose cam chain results in cams a bit out of time CONSTANTLY. Not my idea of an in-time running motor. Automotive world that situation left like that WILL result in MAJOR engine failure as you should know.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey I got two cents to throw in. Put an 83 Venture cct on my 81 SH last friday night along with doing the fuel mix and carb sync. Saturday was the 30th anniversary of my picking the bike up from the dealer so we planned to do some riding over the weekend. We put about 300 miles on with this cct and I really didn't notice any major sound issue or change. Bike ran well. I had a cam chain snap at 55mph some two months after I bought the bike, engine and rear wheel locked up we survived. The dealer fixed the bike under warranty without much hassle. There was some discussion at the time about whether it was faulty dealer prep or failed cct. At the time it didn't matter much either way to me. However the lesson for me was to keep a close eye on that part of the maintenance. Now to get back to the subject. When I had the cct's apart in my hand before the install it was easy to see how much better the venture design is. When I pulled it out of the venture I didn't see the foot on the end of the shaft so I pulled the cam cover and cams out to see if I was missing something, I wasn't . The cct pushes against the same part in size and makeup as the part in my 81 SH. As far as there being constant tension on the cam chain I think thats a good thing. I want that tension on there when it's running and when it's not running it holds the chain in place when you hit the starter.The foot on either cct is not touching or putting direct pressure on any moving part. If something is happening in the motor that would need for the cct to release then I think there are bigger problems that maybe should be looked in to. The springs on an oem cct and the Venture cct are the same so there is no more tension on the cam chain than normal. As far as wear is concerned I think that the wear would be much less with a cam chain under proper pressure than slapping around. I still have the slash marks on the inside of the cam cover from when mine went. ( I'll show them to anyone that brings a new cam cover gasket with, yea I believe in gaskets). So I like the Venture cct. However, if the cam chain snaps in two months (and I survive) I'll come back and say so and I'll bring my own plate of crow.

Comment

I'll add that there is a reason that Yamaha got rid of manual cam chain adjusters, and it wasn't because their mechanics were lazy and the dealers didn't want to make money, I think they found they were failing in larger numbers than they considered acceptable and came up with a design that would not slip back and leave you with a loose chain no matter what. Just looking at the design of the thing tells me it's an accident waiting to happen.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Just to throw in my $.02 in. I have had the dicussion about excessive wear on the tensioner slipper with constant pressure on other 11 forums.

The fact is, when the engine is running, with or without the spring there is constant pressure on the slipper due to the fact that centifugal force is TRYING to make that chain round. It doesn't want to snake through the engine like it does, it want's to freakin' fly straight off those sprockets and LEAVE.

Just my thoughts on worrying about constant pressure on the tensioner slipper.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                          I'll add that there is a reason that Yamaha got rid of manual cam chain adjusters, and it wasn't because their mechanics were lazy and the dealers didn't want to make money, I think they found they were failing in larger numbers than they considered acceptable and came up with a design that would not slip back and leave you with a loose chain no matter what. Just looking at the design of the thing tells me it's an accident waiting to happen.
                          I know for sure the XS400 had one in '80.
                          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

No win at autozone or checker... Here's what we're missing! Just one of 'em. Any chance you have one? Happy to toss some $ your way to cover cost/shipping. Would be most appreciated! I shudder to think what Yamaha wants for that nut...

Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
                            Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

BikeBandit has 'em for $3.10 each
                              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                                BikeBandit has 'em for $3.10 each
                                + $8 shipping.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X