• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the oil level??
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Good on the oil... when I first switched to the zrx carbs it seemed to start easier in the cold with prime but now its fine. I start without it.

If I ride just strictly to work... no weekend rides 5 days in s row its about 38 to 40 Ishmael. But when you add a day or 2 in-between it drops.. exponentially each day. Hope that makes sense...
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

I was wondering about the oil level too. I thought maybe when parked you had gas leaking into the bottom end. I check the smell of my oil regularly.

Comment

No... I checked that as well... my cap also whines alot after i park. I'll check it again at lunch... but remember I have practically brand new carbs... I have had 2 other bikes that leaked in the past into the oil...

Thanks guys... also I forgot I need to check the hoses again to ensure there are no leaks... they are newer maybe a year old...?
          Just filled up today and got 40 MPG. I was really excited about the 44 I got going to the dragon!
          Last edited by yamahansolo; 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM.
          " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
          8mm msd wires
          tkat fork brace...
          Fox shocks...
          mikes650 front fender
          led's gallore...
          renthal bars
          gold valve emulators
          vmax tensioner
          Rifle fairing

Comment

That gas has got to be going somewhere, and I can't see it being an evaporation issue, cause that's just way too fast for that, it's gotta be a leak of some sort. I can fill my tank and walk away for a week, and come back and it's not moved, and I still get the same around town ride to work mileage of 29 MPG that I get if I ride every day. For that kind of drop, it's gotta be a significant amount of gas disappearing, I mean it can be determine with math, and I think were talking probably something approaching significant fractions of a cup, and that's a LOT of gas to be just going AWOL.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

CY. First off excellent memory on the prime thing... that was months ago! I forgot about that. I'm impressed. And I was so curious about the evaperating I got fixated and didn't think about a leak... a leak makes more sense. Now I just have to look for one. It must be leaking somewhere but I haven't seen anything and the oil is good... I don't recall smelling gas. Ill recheck all hoses!
              Thanks

79 xs11 standard
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

Chris,

Do you keep your bike parked in the garage? If so, and it's leaking, you will know. Or...your wife will tell you! It doesn't take much for the aroma to fill the room.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Nope... too many cats in there yuck! No offense Kat...

Plus we have to get rid of 1 car and 1 bike.

And I did leave a spare set of carbs in there that leaked and it was about 30 mins of eyerolls and arm waves.... it smelled for a few days!

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Nate, there is a filter in the gas cap vent. A fiber material.
                    I have a small brass disc and then a larger fiber disc, is either of those what you talking about as the filter?
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep, the fiber disc, I am calling a filter. Sitting left of the brass disc in this photo.

Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Hmmm, I have the large fiber disc like what you have on the far left of the pic but not a small one the size is the brass one.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I don't think that the amount of gas you are talking about is evaporating outta yer gas cap. Have you looked at the bottom of the tank for bubbled or peeling paint? I would also check the airbox to make certain that isn't filling up with fuel (could go BOOM when ya start the bike, then ya wouldn't hafta check). I would next try putting paper towels in various spots and check them every hour or so.

Have you looked inside the exhaust pipe to see if it's wet? Do you ever smell gas when yer stopped in traffic? Sorry for all the questions, and you can feel free to ignore the stupid ones, but this is weird and has the potential to be dangerous. Or at least fun...

Comment

No airbox... got rid of it years ago... no gas smell either. Maybe being stolen by neighbors I have robbed my tank tor the lawn mower before.. an its definitely not the tank itself haven't you seen my photos...

79 xs11 standard
                            8mm msd wires
                            tkat fork brace...
                            Fox shocks...
                            mikes650 front fender
                            led's gallore...
                            renthal bars
                            gold valve emulators
                            vmax tensioner
                            Rifle fairing

Comment

Gasoline expands a lot as it warms. You will have better luck if you maintain a little air gap at the bottom of the filler neck. Maybe also, eat and then fill her up just before you take off. Man, gas on the tires is SLICK!
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X