Front Caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Caliper?

I am in the process of redoing the front brakes on my SG and noticed that when I pulled the calipers off I only had a retainer clip on one fork. Does anyone know if you can still get these at the dealer? If not I could use some suggestions on where to get them.

Thanks
    DCII

Do ya mean these...??

If you do then Fleabay or Andreas would be your best bet, although a member here may have some lying around... or you can build your own...

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

That's the part I was referring to, after noticing it was missing from the SG I am working on I decided to look at my other one and there were none on it either. Maybe this is why every dog in the neighborhood starts howling when I use my brakes. Now to see if I can find some.

Comment

How about make some?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Those are fairly important 'cause if they're missing, it allows the brake pads to wear the contact point of the forks. Get a worn spot in the aluminum, this can restrict the pad movement and cause uneven wear and/or dragging brakes.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

.... and cause the pads to click as they flip forward and fall backward in the slot at low speed. Drove me nuts for years until I got new clips sent out from someone here. Sorry, can't remember exactly who at this point, but I think Ray and Don had something to do with it.

I used one of them to measure and produce the drawing, and have made one, which works perfectly. Took about an hour with some 20g sheet, sharp tinsnips, vice, pliers and a hammer.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thanks for the drawing! I've got the same clicking at low speed problem that you were having, and it is a little maddening.
              '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Thanks for your feedback on the retainer clip, the drawing will be big help in trying to make some.

Comment

Here you go, buy them from NW Vintage....

http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/s...01-00&st=spart

Part # finder....

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/partinfo...G2-25849-01-00
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                  X