Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caliper shim missing - XJ11 L front - UhOh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper shim missing - XJ11 L front - UhOh?

Starting to remove the piston from the stuck caliper and it looks pretty rusty inside. To make it more interesting there's no diagonal shim on the back of the brake pad.

I might have to get a new piston & rebuild, won't know till I get it out & polish the piston & look for pitting.

What's the shim for, there is none with the EBC brake pads I bought so I don't have one to replace that with. Is it essential?

Love, just love the PO on this bike...
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Not essential. Lots are missing.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised there wasn't one that came with the new brakes but nope, not present. I wonder what its purpose is if it's not always being used.

Funny how the other caliper looked almost new mechanics-wise & this one looks nasty with rust. I'll have it out tonight & will see what's the damage.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

as nate said, there not essential,
        they're basically there to help prevent
        the brakes from squealing,
        if u want, u can make 1 up using an old
        soft drink can, cut and bent to size.
        these sintered pads come with the shims.

pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

As Pete suggested I think I'll make one. I need to check on my XJ650 Maxim too, to see if there's one missing. when I stop, that bike squeals like a 5 year old with their hand caught in the cookie jar.

Comment

Working...
          X