vacuum ignition advancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum ignition advancer

i have just found out that the diaphram in the vacuum advacer is knackered.
    it was idleing fine but as soon as any load went on it , it started to cough and fart on 1 & 4 piston.
    Any way its no good and i dont know where to get a new one .
    OH yes did i forget to saythat i live in leicester England
    trashed-it_triked-it

Try disconnecting the vacuum line where it attaches to carb #2 and try it again. I think you will find you still have the same problem. Then check the pick-up coil repair procedure and you will probably solve your problem.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for that but im afraid that the vacuum advancer is definately buggered.
      ive taken it off and if i blow smoked down the hose it comes out the breather hole in the bottom of the unit... hence no vacuum and no timing advance
      trashed-it_triked-it

Comment

I just saw a pic up coil unit on e-bay, the seller may also have the rest of the parts you need. Go to ebay smart search, and type in Yamaha xs 1100. under motorcycles. Good Luck. Later 'Dog

Comment

hey dave,give me a week or to i might be able to locate a unit got to wait as the fellow who might have it is in the usa on hols,if you need to borrow one to see the diffence i could send you one if my spare xs just to help you out,if you send me a email i will send you my phone number,there might be some one in the ukxs1100 owners club near you who could help you out,i am only in formby,near southport.(uk)

Comment

cheers DOG but im afraid it was a no show but if anyone knows where i can get one i would be more than gratefull
            trashed-it_triked-it

Comment

Dave, I have one that will work for you, but I have no idea what you would pay for the shipping.
              If you want to check it out, it would be coming from zip code, 95111.
              I have a UPS account, or I could just use US Postal Service.

Does anyone on the list know the going rate for a good used vacuum advance unit?
              Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

There was a Vacuum Advance unit on eBay 2 weeks ago (just the pot) It was NOS and went for around 40.00$ (last time I looked at it).
                '79 Special

Comment

You could try...

I got the same trouble and couldn't find a part in the UK for love or money

Sent off to Merrium Cycles in the US and they sorted it out pretty fast. Can't quite remeber what I paid - 50 dollars maybe - bit more with postage.

Beware of using UPS - got charged lots by them for new parts coming in from the US...20 quid handling fee, on 40 quid carb seals. Merriam used the US Postal Service which worked out better on price with no hidden extras.
                  XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                  Guzzi 850
                  Z1000

Comment

thanks alot to you people. I think I might have found a new vacuum unit .
                    I have actually got an old pretty seized unit (thats me sorted for something to do this winter)
                    the engine number is 2H7--004779
                    can anyone help with any kind of history ,like wot is it ??
                    trashed-it_triked-it

Comment

2H7

The prefix 2H7 is a 78 E or standard model. The advance from that engine should work on all XS models.

Comment

Re: 2H7

Well, ALMOST all models. The 81H models had the advance integrated into the "black box" somehow. Its pick-up unit and black box are unique.

Originally posted by John
                        The prefix 2H7 is a 78 E or standard model. The advance from that engine should work on all XS models.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well, ALMOST all models. The 81H models had the advance integrated into the "black box" somehow. Its pick-up unit and black box are unique.
                          The XJ 1100 is also unique. Rotor and base plate, plus "black box" all run different part numbers than the '81H.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

well a brand spanking old vacuum unit has arrived and installed.....................Thah she blows !!!!!!
                            now all ive got to do is set up the timing ..and from someone who's spent more time sat by the side of the road watching the world go by,than actually going by, should be no problem.
                            first find a strobe......
                            Being officially a grumpy old git......it still will miss and then its coils and or the dreaded box . But Heh its winter and who wants to be sat in a nice warm house drinking JD and playing with the wife???????
                            MMMMMmmmmmmmm........The Shed!!!
                            trashed-it_triked-it

Comment

Well chaps im afraid the time for joking has passed....
                              I rigged up the vauum etc and it worked ,however after a quick blast it started to cough again and when i took the plugs out 1&4 were all sooted up,,like it was too rich, if you know what i mean.
                              So here's the rub
                              is it the primary coils,a little soldering required
                              im getting aspark to 1 & 4 so do i put hotter plugs in those two
                              (but is not the cure)
                              Ive swapped coils over and it does'nt seem to make any difference
                              (im using dyna, i lost the original yam coils in "the crash".I also lost the ballast resistor but have replaced it with one from an old petrol transit van (1.6ohms.

as far as i can tell the mixture is roughly the same on all four carbs,
                              but then that would be too easy would'nt it !!
                              HAS ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS .PLEASE, or have i missed something obvious,even my mate the mechanic has given up on me but then hes never worked on an xs before
                              trashed-it_triked-it

Comment

Working...
                              X