No announcement yet.

TKAT fork brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me again this isn't a standard tkat...

Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Tell me again this isn't a standard tkat..
      Hi Nate,
      I just bought 2 Standard & 1 Special Tkat forkbraces and that one sure isn't to his current design. Do those stepped slider clamps fit over top of the rubber fork wipers?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey there Natemoen.......In reference to the pieces that would clamp to forks, the two inner pieces have NO recess for the cross piece. They are flat across the top and cross piece bolts on top of them. So there is a difference to what you showthere in the pic. Mis-matched pieces?.......who knows, but if those lower pieces don't pull up tight all you have is a decoration and a wanna-be fork brace at this point............sure can't fit over the top of dust seals Fred.......you'd have a rubber mounted fork brace and that would cancel what they are designed to do.......eliminate flexing and movement.
        Last edited by motoman; 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tell me again this isn't a standard tkat...

It looks somewhat like a TKat brace, but only somewhat. I'm not sure that it might be an early model, or someone else's copy of the TKat or something else. You might be able to get it to lock on by doing at Crazy Steve says and filing the edges down where the pieces clamp together over the lower tubes, but probably only if they almost grab already. If you look at the TKat brace, the center piece actually sits above the pieces that clamp onto the legs, and the special version adds an additional spacer to that to make it still clear the front fender (along with having a larger hole for the larger fork lower). I'm not aware of a TKat brace that was flat all the way across like that one is, all the ones I have seen are kind of like an arch across over the fender.

You also might be able to make it work with a brass or copper shim sheet. It probably wouldn't take a very thick piece in there to make those clamp down really tight and do just what your wanting them to do.
          Last edited by cywelchjr; 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Maybe that's a rare, early production or prototype model...

If it's close to clamping (say if you can't get a feeler gauge larger than .030" between the brace and the slider), I'd file the ends. More than that, then look into some shim stock. It appears to have the right center-to-center measurement (although I'd check that), so you should be able to make it work...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I confirmed with tkat that it is not one of his. Although he said he has one sitting on his table, doesn't know who makes them.

With a caliper I check led the fork tops and the brace and the brace clamps are between .1-.5mm bigger than the forks. I have some brass sheets and wrapped a strip around each leg and now it is tight as can be.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Should make a good "fix" for you Nate..........Cy, TKat's brace has no arch to the cross piece, and the base pieces that clamp to fork are flush/flat with cross bolted on top for Standards........raised step where cross attaches and larger I.D. for Specials.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Should make a good "fix" for you Nate..........Cy, TKat's brace has no arch to the cross piece, and the base pieces that clamp to fork are flush/flat with cross bolted on top for Standards........raised step where cross attaches and larger I.D. for Specials.
                  I didn't mean that the cross piece was an arch shape, but that the three pieces taken together form an arch. The special brace forms a higher arch, but both form an arch.

Maybe more of a bridge, but my point was that they didn't go straight across like his does. Not sure what kind he has, but at least with shimming it it appears that it will work, which is good.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    If end pieces won't clamp it tight on the legs...........guarentee you have the wrong one. The machined section at the top of fork leg is a larger diamater on the Special forks!
                    Nate,
                    I agree, mine is on my XJ1100 and it clamps on tight and the dust boots come down and fit over the top. You shouldn't have any slop or play when assembled correctly. Here's a pic of mine (remember mine is an XJ). He sent me both middle adapter since he wasn't sure of the fitment since he hadn't made one for an XJ in a long while.

Jamie
                    Last edited by Jamie; 06-04-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Nate, I'm pretty sure I've seen exactly the same brace as yours on one of my old GPZ750's. Do your clamps have a step in the internal face or are they just a straight bore?
                      Just for reference sake,
                      XS 11 Standards have 37mm fork diam, 57/60mm stepped clamping face and fork spacing of 185mm
                      The Specials / RH's have 37mm diam, 58mm straight clamping face and fork spacing of 185mm
                      The GPZ's also have 37mm diam, 58mm straight clamping face and spacing of 190mm which would easily be talen up by the adjustable centre plate.
                      They're also dead flat across the top just like in your photos.
                      Hope this helps.
                      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Yeah the just pop up, there is a lip that holds them onto the forks so you might try a screwdriver or a pick to get over that.

Another question about the tkat brace (sorry to hijack) is there supposed to be something that holds the brace to the fork lowers?
                        Here's a dumb question. Do you have to remove the forks to install these or can you just slip the boots up and clamp them in and boots down on them with front end fully assembled?

Comment

That's right. Pry the boots off and slide them up. Install the brace and push the boots down over it. DO NOT REMOVE THE FORKS.

Marty (in Germany)
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Much Thanks

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            That's right. Pry the boots off and slide them up. Install the brace and push the boots down over it. DO NOT REMOVE THE FORKS.

Marty (in Germany)
                            Thanks Marty, think I'll buy a set.

XS1100H Venture (Or is it Venturer...seen it both ways)

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman32 View Post
                              XS1100H Venture (Or is it Venturer...seen it both ways)
                              It's Venturer. The Venture is a different bike altogether.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Another question about the tkat brace (sorry to hijack) is there supposed to be something that holds the brace to the fork lowers?
                                What you smokin' Nate?.............lowers IS what brace attaches too................U need to go for a LONG ride.....JAT......BTW, allen head bolts holds it to lowers.....

Comment

Working...
                                X