Pilot screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot screw?

I got my bike running today and it is not quite right. The one and two cylinders seem to be getting the right mixture. but the 3 and 4 seem to be running to lean. those two cylinders are also very hot compared to the 1 and2. Any ideas?
    '78E

sync

Carbs need to be sync'd.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

As long as the carbs are good and clean, floats set, etc, get the pilot screws dialed in first as best you can (i.e. set them all at 2 turns or 2.5 turns, or whatever you feel or know is a good starting point) and then sync the carbs. Once they are sycn'd, then fine tune the screws, and to be exact and proper, check the sync again if so desired. Changing the pilot screw adjustment changes the mixture, which in effect is the same as having a carb open or shut a small, tiny amount, and the re-sync just fine tunes it if needed.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

etc, get the pilot screws dialed in first as best you can (i.e. set them all at 2 turns or 2.5 turns, or whatever you feel or know is a good starting point)
        Ok when you say set them at 2 to 2.5 turns is that top or bottom of the thread. When you turn in, does the air start to decrease in the mixture?
        '78E

Comment

"Turns" refers to turns out from lightly seated, so turn them in until they "seat" and then start backing out from there. I thinks mine are at 1.5-2 turns out, check my signature

Someone told me once that when pilot screws are on the front of the carbs (like the XS), they control the fuel whereas when located on the rear of the carbs they meter the air.

So, in a nutshell, the more you turn them out from being seated, the richer you are making your idle/low speed mixture by letting more fuel in.

Hope that helps.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Just be careful when you tighten them to fully seated, the tips are fragile and can break off and stick in the hole. The trick is to not over tighten them, thus saving you a lot of headache. You might want to pull them out and make sure they are not already broken off while your at it, so our not chasing your tail...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Yes, maybe I was confusing when I said "lightly seated" and then referred to "seated" later in my last post. Over tight is no good for pilot screws.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

cool thanks

I decided since i didnt have a carb sync tool that i would build one. Hopefully this will help. thanks for the pilot info. I didnt want to screw it up
                '78E

Comment

Also, check your petcock operation. Is your petcock fully opening eiht the vacuum? Have you tried on Prime. 3 and 4 are fed from the same petcock, so all else being equal, most likely the petcock is not giving good flow.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Also, check your petcock operation. Is your petcock fully opening eiht the vacuum? Have you tried on Prime. 3 and 4 are fed from the same petcock, so all else being equal, most likely the petcock is not giving good flow.
                    That could be it also. the petcock operating the 3 and 4, was leaking very slowly at first, but seemed to stop. (huh?) But i have a feeling that the sync is way off also. I got it going alot better with my ear and burning my hand alot, but its still way off. I built the vac gauge last night and gonna try giving it a whirl tomorrow.
                    '78E

Comment

where to get new pilot screws?

So before i bothered to sync my carbs i wanted to make sure my pilot screws weren't broken, indeed 3 out of 4 are. So after mother f'ing for awhile i got on here and looked up to see ideas where to get new ones. Bikebandit wants $40 hah! I tried to see if george fix would sell some, but he said he couldn't. anymore ideas?
                      '78E

Comment

Might as well buy rebuild kits. Are the tips of the needles stuck down in the holes?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

oh yeah. i'm working on building that little screw, with drill head tool. Somebody posted about it earlier. should work. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31470&page=2
                          '78E

Comment

Was there originally a pic of the "tool" in that thread?
                            I'd like to be able to get and print it out to give to someone to make for me.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Pic

Just scroll down a few posts and there it is...
                              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                              Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system
                              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...