No announcement yet.

Kick starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll second that my kicker contacted the same spot as yours, I ground off the offending bit on my bench grinder and re-installed...
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      Hi Folks. Can someone please tell me what the point of the emergency kickstart is? On later bikes, as we all know, there isn't even the facility to have a kickstart and the shaft hole is blocked up.

As far as I understand, the TCI on the bike won't spark at anything less than 10.5v.... right? So, in the event of a flat battery, will using the kickstart actually start the bike? My bike is fitted with one (bolted out of the way across the frame, not permanently mounted) but I'm wondering if it would be any use whatsoever in the event of a completely flat battery, or battery that's too low to crank the engine over..........

I'd obviously be leaving the kickstart mounted on the bike but I really would like to know whether I can count on if the battery's flat!
      Never mind the battery, my starter clutch just went bad, that is reason alone for me. You just never know.
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Sorry to hear that Nub. Not an easy fix. If your any where near DAVINCI he has a lot of experience with that and could probably give you some good advice.

If not on how to fix the starter clutch, at least on kick starting technique.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Just a quick question on this subject. In order to start these bikes or any with a dead battery or no battery wouldn't you need a magneto instead of the charging system we do have ? Isn't the reason that vehicle manufacturers changed from magneto's is because of the growing need to operate electrical items, lights and such without a fluctuating power supply ?

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct )
          79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Comment

No, magnetos' biggest problem is their output varies according to rpm, so low-speed output can be poor leading to fouled plugs and other ills. They're self-contained units, so the charging system has no effect on them.

With most alternators, they're not self-exciting so you need an external voltage source before they generate any power; the exception is the permanent-magnet type. Most generators will give output if you spin them without an external source, but that's because they retain some residual magnetism in the field poles, something alternators don't do...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
              Never mind the battery, my starter clutch just went bad, that is reason alone for me. You just never know.
              Worse yet, the 81 motors don't have any of the parts needed to install a kick start, requiring splitting the cases to install the gears in the transmission required for a kick start, at which time you can replace the starter clutch, IF you can find one, which Davinci found is pretty close to impossible to do. Operation of the starter clutch can also be affected somewhat by the oil you run, but I don't think it will cause total failure, just less reliable operation. When it gets cold (for this area, this means low 30's) with 20w50 oil my doesn't work very reliably first thing in the morning, as soon as temps go above about 40 it goes back to complete reliability.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
              X