Motion pro valve tool modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
    what am i doing wrong mine does even touch the bucket and there is space between the cam and the tool.
    Where does it touch, once the cam lobe is rotated upward? Does it hit the head, or the shim?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

from what i can see doesn't touch the shim at all.
      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
        from what i can see doesn't touch the shim at all.
        It's not supposed to touch the shim. The bucket is the tiny 1/16" strip between the shim and the head. It goes up and down when the cam pushes on the shim. The idea is that you press the bucket down with the cam lobe, install the tool (so it's not touching anything), then rotate the cam so it allows the bucket to come up ALMOST all the way, and releases all pressure on the shim/bucket. The only thing holding the bucket down at that point is the tool.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

i realise it is not suppose to touch the shim doesn't touch anything at all, seems like the tip is not long enough. Here is a picture of the tool.

'79 XS11SF

Comment

Here is what it looks like when in use. I have no problem with either one of mine and there has been no grinding to either of them.

2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

that is how i had mine set up but no joy!
              '79 XS11SF

Comment

Be sure the notch in the top rim of the shim bucket is rotated away from the tool. This is how you get access the the notch to pry up the shim then grab it with a magnetic pick-up tool.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

yeah made sure that the notch was on the opposite side of the tool and tried to use a small screwdriver with a magnet on the other end to get the shim out but since the tool doesn't push the bucket down any can't get the shim out.
                  '79 XS11SF

Comment

Guess it is time to take a ride down south again. As long as you have the measurements from a cold motor we can match up the ones I have to get yours set. Problem is I may not have the right ones or enough of the right ones. At least we could either prove or disprove the fact that you have the right tool. I know the ones I have work. With the wind we have been having you will need 6 tanks of fuel to get here and a tablespoon worth to get back home.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

yeah no kidding on the fuel, will see going to try tomorrow if i get back from work early enough.
                      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                      X