No announcement yet.

time to clean the spooge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm confused how you are bleeding JUST the caliper and not the MC... You bleed the SYSTEM not the individual parts. Fluid goes in the MC and air gets pushed out the bleeder screw on the caliper. nothing gets pushed IN the bleeder screw once the system is assembled.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

yeah thats what i thought, but i keep reading other posts that say to bleed the m/c first ???

i figured the air would work its way out but since my lever is still a bit spongy i wondered if not bleed the m/c was my problem.

probably i just need spend a little more time getting all the air out
      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
      Green Dyna Coils
      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
      kevXS

Comment

What those threads are referring to is more of a Priming of the MC. If you can get fluid to push out the caliper by squeezing the lever, that part is done. Often times, letting the system sit overnight to allow air bubbles to rise and collect will make it easier to push the air out.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Once you have it bled as best as you can, fill up the MC and close it up. Compress the lever all the way and wrap a bungee cord around it and let it sit overnite. If it still feels spongy tomorrow, refer to post #10 in this thread...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...r+bubble+banjo
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Yep, I have used the bungee on the brake lever overnight method myself, and found good success with it every time so far.

Depending just how far your lever will travel toward the bars, you may want to put a 1/2" or so block of wood between the brake lever and the bars to keep from over compressing the lever and causing the forward seal to flip. (Never had it happen to me, but it seems common enough to warn about it.)
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I just got done bleeding my front brakes after putting SS lines on. I too had the spongy lever after doing it and I put the cover on and wrapped a zip tie around the lever to hold it in some and left it alone for awhile. If I walked past it I gave the lever a couple squeezes and then put the tie back on. Now the lever feel is quite firm.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Yep, I have used the bungee on the brake lever overnight method myself, and found good success with it every time so far.

Depending just how far your lever will travel toward the bars, you may want to put a 1/2" or so block of wood between the brake lever and the bars to keep from over compressing the lever and causing the forward seal to flip. (Never had it happen to me, but it seems common enough to warn about it.)
                yeah i keep reading about this however i didn't know this yesterday when i bled them. how will i know if i flipped the seal? i definately pulled the lever all the way while bleeding . . .
                1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                Green Dyna Coils
                Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                kevXS

Comment

I would say that if you still feel the brakes working, you did not flip it. Might still be a little soft and spongy if you have air, but if you flipped it I would expect it to not work much if at all.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

if u crack the banjo bolt at the mastercylinder,
                    while lightly pushing the lever in, ull see if there
                    are any bubbles coming out, tighten the bolt b4
                    releasing the lever, u should only need to
                    do it a cpl of times, that then should give u a good lever,
                    just be careful with the spilling brake fluid i usually hold a
                    rag underneath to catch any spilt fluid.
                    i know ppl tie the lever and leave it over night, but
                    u shouldnt need to do that, but each to there own.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

thanks!

hey guys, thanks for all your help, i rebuilt the front brakes, went for a short ride and of course the rear started sticking so i rebuilt that one, put new pads on the back and now i'm good to go.
                      (i think my mechanic skills are improving since i got this beast)

not sure why the manual told me to unbolt and hindge up the rear fender before i removed the rear axle?? i see no reason for this, i had plenty of clearance for everything i needed to do.

anyway i had my first ride into work today and i'm a happy camper.

long live xs11.com!!
                      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                      Green Dyna Coils
                      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                      kevXS

Comment

Working...
                      X