Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
    hmm maybe i'll just leave it in and wipe it out with something
    You'll need to make sure you clear the spooge hole either way... Don't skimp on the brakes - they may just save your life one day!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

yeah the spooge hole is good, i had no problem putting a guitar string through it
      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
      Green Dyna Coils
      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
      kevXS

Comment

i was also wondering if i bleed both calipers at the same time or one at a time?
        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

do one calliper at a time.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            I just used a mole wrnch, gripped the piston and rotated it a few times before pulling it out. I did all three of mine like that......

As everyone else has said, rebuild them completely. You can buy new stainless steel pistons if your old ones are bad.
            hey don't know if i need them yet but do you know where i can buy the new pistons? are the front and rear pistons the same on my special?
            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
            Green Dyna Coils
            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
            kevXS

Comment

Brake Cleaning tip

For anyone that is going to mess with your front Brake Cylinder, Take your fuel tank off first. Brake fluid eats paint, you can ruin the finish on your bike if you get some on your tank. If you do get some on your tank, wipe it off immediately, and wash it off with soap and water. I had a permanenty mark in the paint job of a 76 Honda 750 Super Sport from contact with brake fluid.

BlindogSmokin

Comment

Hvc cycle on ebay sells the ss piston for about 25 each.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I would seriously doubt

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                  hey don't know if i need them yet but do you know where i can buy the new pistons? are the front and rear pistons the same on my special?
                  you need new pistons - even if rusty in the back that doesn't affect operation and sides are likely ok...they are avail both here and ebay.

I know the front caliper is different on specials but piston? dunno.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

thats good to hear, i can't find anything on ebay anyway, anyone have the link to the HVC page on ebay? its annoying that you can't use the ebay search to find sellars like (georgefix and HVC)
                    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                    Green Dyna Coils
                    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                    kevXS

Comment

never mind, found em

http://stores.ebay.ca/HVC-cycle

thanks for all your help guys!
                      XS11.com is the BEST SITE EVER
                      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                      Green Dyna Coils
                      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                      kevXS

Comment

ebay search

You can search for sellers - click ADVANCED to the right of the search term window and in left pane click by seller - there is an option for close matches if you are unsure...

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                          You can search for sellers - click ADVANCED to the right of the search term window and in left pane click by seller - there is an option for close matches if you are unsure...

John
                          Or you can click on the upper right corner of the main ebay screen on "Community" and search by name in there.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

piston out

so i got one of the pistons out so far with the grease gun method. now i guess i clean up the piston and sleeve with a brillow pad or something?
                            it doesn't look too bad.
                            how do i get all the grease out of the passages? will it be a problem if there is still trace amounts of grease left in the caliper?
                            sorry for the million questions, not an experienced mechanic at all here . . .
                            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                            Green Dyna Coils
                            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                            kevXS

Comment

if u havent done so already,
                              remove the o ring that sits inside the calliper,
                              remove as much grease as u can with a rag, then spray
                              carb/brake cleaner inside the calliper and its
                              orifices to remove the remainder of the grease,
                              rinse well in hot soapy water, also only clean the
                              o ring with water or brake fluid, anything else will cause
                              the rubber to swell.
                              when putting the o ring back in the calliper smear it with
                              brake fluid or rubber grease only.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots
                              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

so i've got the brakes back together and bled them but my lever is still a bit spongy.
                                i have not bled the master cylinder i was only bleeding the calipers, can anyone tell me how to bleed the m/c without removing it from the bike?

i've also read about using an oil can to pump fluid in through the bleeder screw. this seems like the best method to me and i would not have to bleed the m/c using this method correct?
                                Last edited by kevxs; 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM.
                                1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                                Green Dyna Coils
                                Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                                kevXS

Comment

Working...
                                X