Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to clean the spooge

Hey guys my brakes were locking up at the end of last season so I'm
    going to change the fluid and clean the spooge hole(s). I've read the spooge hole tech tip but it seems to apply for when your not changing the fluid. Any words of wisdom for me?
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

The spooge hole is a tiny passage between the fluid resevoir and the piston chamber. You can only really clear it when you have the MC all the way apart. Just disconnect it from the brake line and dump the fluid out. Pull the piston and the resvoir and look for that tiny passage. Feed a sewing needle or some other small metal object through the passage until you can see it appear in where the piston once was. Wiggle the needle a bit, then spray some brake parts cleaner in the hole. Clean it all up and re-assemble, then bleed the brakes.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Bite the bullet and tear it all down. Crap built up on the caliper pistons and on and under the seals can do this also.Do it all at once and forget about about it for a while.
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

Brakes ;ocking up on a bike can be a REALLY bad thing...DAMHIKIJK. I would strongly suggest to listen to these fine folks and just clean the entire system. Start by pulling a caliper, use the MC to push the piston out. Clean it well, then pull the other and use compressed air to push the other one out. Then tear down the MC also.

I use brake cleaner to wash out the lines as well.

Good luck, and if it is the back brakes, I have no clue how you could even get to the spooge hole without removing the MC and tearing it apart.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Agreed. Tear it all apart and clean it all at once so you are starting with a clean slate.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah i pulled the front calipers off but can't get the pistons out. Don't have any compressed air and i already drained the fluid so i can't push them out with the brakes. Any other way to get those buggars out? looks like they are definately due for a cleaning
            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
            Green Dyna Coils
            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
            kevXS

Comment

You can get grease zerks that fit the bleeder hole and a bolt for the brake line hole and then pump grease into the caliper with a grease gun till it pops out.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

thanks guys, looks like i'll have to go back to canadian tire tomorrow for grease zerks and a bolt that fits.
                Also i have the 4 screws out of the front MC and i can spin the plastic resivor around but cant get it off, should i just keep prying? i didn't want to break anything so i didn't give it all i had, i would like to take it off for cleaning though.
                1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                Green Dyna Coils
                Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                kevXS

Comment

You don't need zerk fittings; the top of the bleeder screw will accept a grease gun. Put a bolt in the brake line hole, loosen the bleeder, put the gun on it and it'll pop right out.

A tip; fill the caliper with brake fluid by filling it through the line hole after it's off but before you put the bolt in. This limits the amount of grease you have to put in for getting the piston out, and also makes cleaning the grease out easier...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You can use the banjo bolt to plug the hole. Find a nut the banjo bolt will slide thru to take up the space of the actual banjo. Use the copper washers.
                    79SF
                    XJ11
                    78E

Comment

With my stuck pistons, I tried compresed air. What worked was connecting my MC up to each of the brake lines, did a quick bleed, then pumped the pistons out. It's a sure thing.
                      Darrell
                      78E
                      80G project
                      06FJR

Comment

I just used a mole wrnch, gripped the piston and rotated it a few times before pulling it out. I did all three of mine like that......

As everyone else has said, rebuild them completely. You can buy new stainless steel pistons if your old ones are bad.
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

thanks very helpful, any tips on getting the plastic reservoir off the handlebars so i can clean it? so i just have to get aggressive with it?
                          1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                          Green Dyna Coils
                          Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                          kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                            thanks very helpful, any tips on getting the plastic reservoir off the handlebars so i can clean it? so i just have to get aggressive with it?
                            I've only dealt with ONE of those plastic resevoirs myself (the LH ones are solid metal), and I just had to twist and bend it, prying ever-so-gently around the edges until the o-ring let go. I had to replace the o-ring afterward though, and had a heck of a time finding one. Finally found a comparable replacement at a local mom-and-pop hardware store.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

hmm maybe i'll just leave it in and wipe it out with something
                              1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                              Green Dyna Coils
                              Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                              kevXS

Comment

Working...
                              X