Service manual misprints....and corrections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service manual misprints....and corrections

I have the Haynes maintenance poster (I'm told it's kind of rare?) anyway, the recommended fork oil for the E, F and G is 10W-30 motor oil?? Anyone ever see this before? better yet, anyone ever use 10W-30 in their forks?

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
    I have the Haynes maintenance poster (I'm told it's kind of rare?) anyway, the recommended fork oil for the E, F and G is 10W-30 motor oil?? Anyone ever see this before? better yet, anyone ever use 10W-30 in their forks?
    Hi DaVinci,
    neat poster! OK then, engine oil has all kinds of additives that forks don't need and lacks the anti-foaming additives that fork oils have but WTF, it mostly works good enough.
    And 10W30 is only 10W at normal temperatures, it don't act like a 30W until it warms up.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well, according to that, the 10W-30 is only for the UK bikes. Maybe they don't have regular fork oil there?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        Well, according to that, the 10W-30 is only for the UK bikes. Maybe they don't have regular fork oil there?
        Hi 'Bug,
        my interpretation of the poster is that 10W30 is for the rest of the world while UK models can use SAE 10 motor oil, fork oil or equivalent.
        Still, my snobby son uses Bel-Ray 15 weight fork oil and his cheap dad nicks it.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Maybe it's figured that with the wide range of temps that forks in the US might have to deal with the 10w30 might have better characteristics at all temps, especially in the southwest and such, where in the UK it's cold all the time so it don't matter.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well, I'm doin my fork seals now and I'm gonna try the 10W30, just cause I happen to have a qt on the shelf. Let's see.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi 'Bug,
              my interpretation of the poster is that 10W30 is for the rest of the world while UK models can use SAE 10 motor oil, fork oil or equivalent.
              Still, my snobby son uses Bel-Ray 15 weight fork oil and his cheap dad nicks it.
              Fred, must be nice to have someone you can nick supplies from

Comment

I'm lucky my son is far enough away that he doesn't nick my expensive lubricants. Then again it would be worth having the grandkids close enough to see.

I'd even give him the 400 if he'd move down here as an incentive.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                X