In need of assistance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of assistance...

Hey everyone.. I can't seem to get my bike running right. I cleaned the carbs (several times) and put new coils on but it wont run right. It constantly backfires out the carbs and exhaust and lacks power under load. We have the carbs synced too. I had to drill out the air/fuel mixture screws so i'm sure that doesn't help. But I'm out of ideas and can't really afford to take it in to a shop. But I guess I'm looking for some direction, or if any experts on here live in SE MN and would be willing to help it would be geatly appreciated Thanks for any info.
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    Kirker 4-1 exhaust
    Individual Pod filters
    Cafe Racer Fairing
    LED turn and brake lights
    LED underglow

hi jacob

i try to tell all who will listen about checking pick-up coil wires especially if you are new ,, this is a very common reason why our xs11s run like crap ,, the test is easy and takes 5 minutes all other info about how to fix this can be found on this site ,,good luck ,,i hope i,m right ,,and ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

slow mo brings up a good point, you should check to see if your plug wires are arcing. There should be some posts about how to check it but in short, wait till its dusk/dark out and start the bike and look for any arcing. You can also take a squirt bottle and mist some water over/around the wires to see if it provokes any arcing. Any arcing sould be visible.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

First of all, did it run right before since you have known or owned the bike? If yes, what did you change, change it back

Seriously, if it has never ran correct that you know of, then I would start with the big picture items. Three things have to be right, fuel, spark, and compression, and all at the same time. I'd start by checking that third one, compression. If you have some bent valves, or severely neglected valve gaps to where the valves are being held open, it will never run correct no matter what you do to the fuel and spark.

If that gives you good results, then move to timing. Hook up a timing light and see what it tells you.

Also, look at your spark plugs and see what they look like. If you have serious carb issues, the plugs will show it.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I would definitely rule out a jumped timing chain. The only way to do this is visually checking the cam dots and the timing pointer. A timing light will not tell if this is a problem.
          start by checking that third one, compression. If you have some bent valves, or severely neglected valve gaps to where the valves are being held open, it will never run correct no matter what you do to the fuel and spark.
          Valve clearance should always be checked before a good carb sync can be done anyway so while the valve cover is off that's when you can check the cam dots vs timing pointer.l

Not saying this is ( or 1 of) your problems but those are classic symptoms.

Don't neglect what slow mo said about the p/u wires.

I think I just heard the sound on a cherry trying to pop. Welcome to the long road of learning.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Originally posted by JacobAndrew View Post
            Hey everyone.. I can't seem to get my bike running right. I cleaned the carbs (several times) and put new coils on but it wont run right. It constantly backfires out the carbs and exhaust and lacks power under load. We have the carbs synced too. I had to drill out the air/fuel mixture screws so i'm sure that doesn't help. But I'm out of ideas and can't really afford to take it in to a shop. But I guess I'm looking for some direction, or if any experts on here live in SE MN and would be willing to help it would be geatly appreciated Thanks for any info.
            Hi Jacob,
            all good advice but the first thing to check (because it's a weird thing that those new to the XS11 would never think to check on and it's an easy fix) is the wires to the ignition pickups.
            The vacuum advance moves the pickup plate back and forth as the engine revs which flexes the pickup wires so they can break inside the insulation. They look fine from the outside but they ain't. Take off the cover plate and gently pull on each wire. If the insulation stretches the conductor is broken.
            There's a cheat sheet to be found under the search button that'll tell you how to fix it.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

carb rebuild with no help

went thru my carbs ....started smoking from setting and backfiring...had a mechanic do a leak down test ...head and valves good rings not...alot of ppl according to him think carbs and it was valves or rings...if you do this and need rings and pistons i have .25 over rings but cant find pistons and wiseco is on and off for ordering and yamaha is discontinued period....dynoman is your choice to check with but i just spent 520.00 on wiseco kit..goodluck and stay in touch i am too far in as a newby to turn back now
              windjammer gump
              bikes now own
              1981xs1100sh special
              1971 cb 350
              mini chopper project
              bikes use to own
              1978 750/four..
              1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
                went thru my carbs ....started smoking from setting and backfiring...had a mechanic do a leak down test ...head and valves good rings not...alot of ppl according to him think carbs and it was valves or rings...if you do this and need rings and pistons i have .25 over rings but cant find pistons and wiseco is on and off for ordering and yamaha is discontinued period....dynoman is your choice to check with but i just spent 520.00 on wiseco kit..goodluck and stay in touch i am too far in as a newby to turn back now
                you are never going to find first over pistons. All you need do is take the first over rings that you have to file them down so the ring gap is in spec. plenty of people have done it and it worked out fine for them.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Check the integrity of your vacuum lines and that they are routed correctly. Also check the synch port caps on your intake manifolds.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies. ihm going to try checking the pickup coils when i get some time (we finally got some dry weather to get in the fields). Hopefully it works. I will let everyone know what i find out.Thanks again! Very much appreciated!
                    '79 XS Eleven Special
                    Kirker 4-1 exhaust
                    Individual Pod filters
                    Cafe Racer Fairing
                    LED underglow

Comment

I'm on the pickup coil wires or vacuum leaks. If the carb boots are nice and soft they can cause the vacuum leaks. Pick up wires and vacuum leaks are cheap to fix, carb boots will set you back a little more. Keep asking, these guys are amazing here!
                      Bothell, WA
                      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Update

Ok, so I finally got some time to take a look at my bike and here is what I found out..
                        ------Both of my pickup coil wires were broke, got them fixed and it still ran like crap
                        ------My dad cleaned the carbs again, still didn't run right.
                        ------Tried spraying starting fluid around the boots, no change..
                        ------Went back later started it for about 15-20 seconds and felt the header, 1 and 4 were cold. Checked the plugs they were wet, but had spark. It was purple in color just like 2 and 3. They are new coils from MikeXS if that makes a difference.. I forgot to check the resistance of the coils, will have to do that tomorrow I guess......
                        '79 XS Eleven Special
                        Kirker 4-1 exhaust
                        Individual Pod filters
                        Cafe Racer Fairing
                        LED underglow

Comment

I always like to start with the basics, so have you run a compression check?

The most likely issue is electrical. 1 and 4 are linked through the ignition circuits. And the most likely place to start is back at the pickup coils.

I would also try turning the fuel to prime and let the bike sit for about 3-5 minutes and see if any fuel comes out the air box. It is not likely that this is carb related, but if your floats are not sealing it can flood the cylinders.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

I did a compression test a while ago, not quite sure what they were, but they were 120 and up. I put it on prime for a while and no fuel came out also..
                            Edit to add... I also check the pickup wires again, and couldn't find anything wrong with them...
                            Last edited by JacobAndrew; 05-21-2011, 12:05 AM.
                            '79 XS Eleven Special
                            Kirker 4-1 exhaust
                            Individual Pod filters
                            Cafe Racer Fairing
                            LED underglow

Comment

The biggest thing to look for compressionwise in new to you bikes is that the compression is reasonably even across the cylinders.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X