tank vent leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tank vent leaks

It is me again. This time my problem is fuel leaking from the over flow or vent hose on my 78 E gas tank. The tank is only half full so and it hasn't moved all day. So, what is going on? Ideas please. TIA, Clyde
    Gunnery Sergeant, USMC (Retired), (A gung ho, lifer, Devil Dog) Semper Fidelis
    XS1100E, 11.5" XV1100 shocks, "no name" 4 into 2 headers and turn out mufflers, stock air box, 140 mains, spade type fuse block, volt meter, LED conversion on running/turn/brake/tail lights, aux front driving and running light bar, 850 FD swap, Chrysler electronic VR. Ugly as a monkey's butt - runs like a scalded ape (WHEN IT RUNS)

The overflow vent hose runs THRU the inside of the tank, and may have rusted THRU causing it to leak, vs. a poor gas cap rubber seal, and then heat expansion pushing fuel out past the cap into the surround and down the hose!? You could attach a hose to the drain, and blow into it and see/hear if you get bubbles in the tank to confirm the leak??

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Roger that! I can barely hear hear them, but I am blowing bubbles. Can I tee into one of my fuel lines to recycle the gas?
      XS1100E, 11.5" XV1100 shocks, "no name" 4 into 2 headers and turn out mufflers, stock air box, 140 mains, spade type fuse block, volt meter, LED conversion on running/turn/brake/tail lights, aux front driving and running light bar, 850 FD swap, Chrysler electronic VR. Ugly as a monkey's butt - runs like a scalded ape (WHEN IT RUNS)

Comment

Probably can, but just make sure that it's ABOVE/before a fuel filter...rust particles and such not good! Also, you may want to look into possibly sealing the top port in the recess, because rain/wash water can also get in there and contaminate your fuel???

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks TC, your idea is better. A dab of RTV will resolve the problem. Now I must pull the 750 FD back off and insert the 1100 spring. Maybe I should work the 750 spring through one of my ears so I have something in the void up there. Thanks again. Clyde

Comment

TC, you wouldn't pull an old Gunny's leg, would you? LOL Seriously, I put a dab of RVT in the top of the vent to keep water from contaminating the fuel (as you suggested), then I raised the back of the tank until the fuel quit leaking. I figure that since there is no way to fix the leak I will just JB Weld the stinker shut and put the hose back on to protect the seat. Thanks again for the help. R/S Clyde

Comment

Another local XSive here also had an issue with that line leaking, his was where it penetrates the back of the tank. He used JB-Weld and I think PLastex on it. Nothing held up for more than a year or so though. The fuel will eat through those materials over time. If it were me, I think I would take a small screw, put a nitrile o-ring on it, and screw it up tight in there to plug it. Just a thought.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

And of course you from then on be careful not to fill it with gas to the bottom of the filler neck, unless you want a bad rash!!!
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Clyde,

I didn't necessarily say to use RTV, but "something" to plug the top port. Might even just get a nitrile/neoprene rubber type plug similar to the ones for the later carbs pilot jet tower plugs, might fit??

Also from what I've read/seen REAL JB Weld, not the JB "quick" stuff is more fuel "resistant", and since it's on the top, it's not SUBMERGED in fuel like it would be for a float post repair, and should seal and keep sealed fairly well.

I've used another product called "quick Aluminum", related to Quick Steel, that is a dual compound that you knead together to activate it, and it had real aluminum particles in it, sets rock hard, and IS impervious to gas. I've had it on my #2 carb float post for many years now, no sign of softening like the JBquick did!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

The leak seems to be some place near where the tube exits the tank. The tank is about half full and when I lift the rear of the tank about 3" the leak stops. So, my plan is to leave the top of the tube unplugged then, theoretically, if I slosh fuel it will go down the tube and eventually reenter the tank at the point of the leak. I will do the screw/washer plug thing where the hose connects. How does that sound?

Comment

Not a good idea. Any water, from rain or whatever will also go into the tank. You do NOT want to leave that open, too much bad stuff can get in to the tank that way.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks Cy, and everyone else. It is so nice to have people around whose brains actually work. Don't know what I'd do without this site. Clyde

Comment

Clyde,

I was thinking, dangerous I know, that perhaps the best solution for you would be to find a small tube with its OD the smae size or just a hair under the ID of that drain tube. (I have never owned a Standard, so I do not know the size we are dealing with). Anyway, take that smaller tube and insert it up through the existing tube. Then swage the end at the top open so it can seal against the orignal tube with some JB weld or what ever other compound of your choice. At the bottom end, I seem to recall the tube extends long enough you could try to braze or at least solder the two tubes together.

JAT
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

That would be a smmmmmmaaaallll tube! The stock one is maybe a bit under 1/4 inch id.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That tube is way too small to put another tube through it; it's also not straight and is spot-welded to an internal brace...

You really need to look for another tank. As has been stated, anything you do with the upper end of the vent is just going to make it very likely you'll end up with water in your fuel. It may be possible to replace the tube, but that would be a very tough fix. If you try that, go with a larger diameter so it can be unsupported inside the tank.

Something like this is probably the best solution for salvaging that tank...

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a vented cap/neck assembly cut off another tank and trimmed to fit into the existing recess. Not shown, but the stock recess/neck below has been cut out. Braze/solder the lower exit closed, and weld/braze this new neck in.... still a lot of work, and you have to get all the gas flushed out of the tank before doing this so you don't blow yourself up!
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X