Factory Full Dress 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Full Dress 1100

I will be looking at a XS1100 full dress tomorrow morning says it was properly winterized for storage in shed for 10+ years best offer over 1K.
    Between carb rebuild and tank and fuel lines not to mention electrical wires to check. What should I offer? I'm thinking nothing over 1K.
    1981 with 48,606 K miles as is from the factory and both saddlebags missing covers.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/2303754027.html
    Last edited by Nubian; 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM. Reason: attaching link
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

From looking at the pictures: if it won't start, $800. If it runs, $1100. If you hear banjos -- run!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Will advise tomorrow upon inspection
      Thanks
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

I think I see a dent in the tank, as well as new tires, probably intakes. The covers are NOT EASY TO FIND!!, so think about not being able to use the boxes! DO try and turn the engine over, via pushing the bike or something! IF it's frozen, it MAY be a LOT of work.
        If it turns when jumped, it should be OK, if it starts, you KNOW it's a good buy at $800 to 1K. JMHO
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Nubian,
          IMHO They are not rare. The covers for those boxes are rare nexxt to impossible to find. The fairing does not have lowers (in pictures)
          the exhaust is not original. The seat also looks aftermarket to me. Is it really an 81? Check vin # Tank looks liek a Standard.
          I think 81 Venturer only came in Blue with white flashes on the tank. It has neither.
          If it runs it may be a perfectly fine ride. As always it is worth what someone will pay. It will need new tires and a battery plus a complete brake overhaul.
          $500 to 700
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Don't the '81s have a ring around the logo on the alternator cover? I don't see the orange/red bands for the stock 80 MPH speedometer but it could have been replaced or it's just a lousy picture. 6 gallon gas tank?

It looks like a '78 --> '80 Standard with blue(ish) side covers, a king/queen seat and a nifty adjustable backrest.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Don't the '81s have a ring around the logo on the alternator cover? I don't see the orange/red bands for the stock 80 MPH speedometer but it could have been replaced or it's just a lousy picture. 6 gallon gas tank?

It looks like a '78 --> '80 Standard with blue(ish) side covers, a king/queen seat and a nifty adjustable backrest.
              It looks like the wrong exhaust for an 81, wrong alternator and ignition covers and wrong brake rotors (could just be poor picture quality) but none of the 81H trademarks are visible (circle around the yamaha on both alternator and ignition cover, slots in rotors, special exhaust, tank is too small for an 81H, that's an earlier tank, and the color is wrong). The fairing is right, as are the bags, although missing the covers which are nearly impossible as mentioned to find. I'm guessing it might be a repainted 80, but can't really tell for sure, but it's not the right color for that even though the right fairing for 80, maybe a 79? But that fairing should be an 80 or later feature unless it was added later (which is could be), as it wasn't even available until the 80 model year as that was when Vetter designed the modifications for the XS11 specific version of the Windjammer on that bike.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Nubian, you will need to find the (hopefully matching!) serial numbers on the frame steering head and the top right-hand side of the engine/transmission case to see what year/model the bike is.

If the serial number begins with:

2H7-00 is 1978
                2H7-02 is 1979
                3H5-00 is 1980
                4R1-00 is 1981

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                I'm guessing it might be a repainted 80, but can't really tell for sure, but it's not the right color for that even though the right fairing for 80, maybe a 79?
                Yep, that's what I thought. It looks reasonably clean and might have a 160 speedometer so I'd pay $800 for it. $1100 if it runs; serial numbers match; instruments work correctly; exhaust pipes are okay and that's just an odd reflection on the paint in the picture and the tank isn't really dented. My '80G was titled as an '81 when I bought it but it has a 1980 serial number, 3H5, so it must have been date of first registration.

Except for the gas tank, brake disks, maybe the seat, I think the earlier bikes are better than the '81 anyway: no safety lockout switches in the electrical system; analog mechanical timing components that you can see working with no special tools; no rare, one-year-only ignition; better transmission and clutch shaft bearings.
                Last edited by 3Phase; 04-25-2011, 12:55 AM.
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

If it isn't demonstrated by the owner as a running bike, you probably should offer whatever you would give as a parts bike. If it was me looking, I wouldn't give more than 500.00 USD the way it is, and if the engine can be demonstrated with jumper cables to show it has reasonable compression, maybe 800, depending on how much work you are willing to put into it to get it running and looking like you want.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    If it isn't demonstrated by the owner as a running bike, you probably should offer whatever you would give as a parts bike. If it was me looking, I wouldn't give more than 500.00 USD the way it is, and if the engine can be demonstrated with jumper cables to show it has reasonable compression, maybe 800, depending on how much work you are willing to put into it to get it running and looking like you want.
                    How much to rebuild carbs and brakes, approx?
                    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Hope this helps...

My $1000.00 '80G "Full Dresser" was an impulse buy as I was overwhelmed with the old style cruiser looks - matching vetter fairing, bags and trunk. It was not "prepared" when it was put to rest outside for six years! With 32K it looks like I may have lucked out as it does seem to run ok after some work - but here is the butchers bill:

Invested so far:
                      Battery $55
                      Carb parts $30
                      Oil & filters $45
                      Used petcocks $60
                      Gas tank sealer $45
                      Clymers manual $30
                      Replacement Air Box $25
                      Brake kits & pads $140
                      Brake caliper pistons $95
                      Ebay misc: $40

Still to buy:
                      2 tires & mounting $275
                      New vetter windscreen: $125
                      Brake Lines: $200
                      Paint & supplies: $150

So roughly:
                      $565 invested so far
                      $750 to go
                      $1000 purchase price
                      --------------------------------
                      $2315.00 estimated.cost
                      When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

my philosophy...

Is to never keep score.

i got it cheap enough. It makes me happy. It isn't a $20,000 Harley.

I don't care about the rest. I will never hit $20k.

Just have fun.

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

That's true - I'm not saying it's a bad thing... a good runing XS cruiser / daily driver < 3K with many new parts and new paint will be sweet! Just don't expect to hit the road next week after a 10 year rest...

Oh yeah.. fork seals, fuse box upgrade, drive shaft boot...
                          When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
                            Battery $55
                            Carb parts $30 (you got off cheap on this one)
                            Oil & filters $45
                            Clymers manual $30
                            Brake kits & pads $140

Still to buy:
                            2 tires & mounting $275
                            Buy any used bike what so ever and you will need most if not all of the items I left listed. Add those up and you get just over $1000. And it would have cost you more than the XS11 to start with.

So your not doing bad comparably.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
                              My $1000.00 '80G "Full Dresser" was an impulse buy as I was overwhelmed with the old style cruiser looks - matching vetter fairing, bags and trunk. It was not "prepared" when it was put to rest outside for six years! With 32K it looks like I may have lucked out as it does seem to run ok after some work - but here is the butchers bill:

Invested so far:
                              Battery $55
                              Carb parts $30
                              Oil & filters $45
                              Used petcocks $60
                              Gas tank sealer $45
                              Clymers manual $30
                              Replacement Air Box $25
                              Brake kits & pads $140
                              Brake caliper pistons $95

Still to buy:
                              2 tires & mounting $275

So roughly:
                              $565 invested so far
                              $750 to go
                              $1000 purchase price
                              --------------------------------
                              $2315.00 estimated.cost
                              My dresser was $800, but was a runner. Did have the fairing, with spare, but windshield was cracked, no bags but the mounting hardware was all present and accounted for, and no trunk. So, $25 for bags with no hardware, $40 for a trunk with no harness, $20 for wiring, $40 for used windshield, $400 or so for other misc parts, still came out pretty well, and still running good and strong 2 1/2 years later. Little things here, little things there, but all in all, I've spent far far less than I would have in payments on a newer bike, had a lot of fun tinkering, and still got stuff to do yet, and still all the basics work just fine, would trust it to take me pretty much anywhere I need it to take me, on pretty much a moments notice. It might not be a show machine, but it don't look bad for a daily driver, and it's got plenty of endurance.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X