Intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake boots

I was out fiddling with the bike yesterday and i now have a couple of problem.
    I found vacuum leaks on #1 and 2 intake boots. Do i have to remove the carbs to tighten these down and are there suppose to be gaskets between them and the head. I also took temperature readings of the headder pipes after it was warmed up and noticed that 2-4 were around 300f while #1 was barely at 100f what could cause this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

where are the vacuum leaks at? Im assuming at the head, But what I found on mine the other day was that the boots were actually cracked all the way through, if you can get a allen wrench in there you can tighten them down alittle more, im replacing my boots at this time and i had a heck of a time so i just pulled the carbs out, as far as gasket goes, Im going to use some RTV Gasket maker, I use the brand "the right stuff" Made by Permatex, that product is really good for pretty much any gasket on these bikes
    Abe
    1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
    poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

Comment

There was no gasket on that surface from the factory, but some folks have added one (using a thermostadt gasket from an older model ford, IIRC). I used "The Right Stuff" on mine as well, and use it on most other places where gaskets are used on the bike.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        There was no gasket on that surface from the factory...
        Sorry 'bug, but there is supposed to be a gasket there; I've found them on every one I've pulled off...

But a light smear of RTV will take care of it.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

yes it's leaking at the head.i tightened the #1 but can't get at the #2 looks like i'll be pulling carbs tomorrow
          82 XJ1100
          Regina,Saskatchewan,
          Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I used Yamabond on mine and they've stayed sealed just fine. It really doesn't need much, but make sure it's something made for high temps, cause it does get a little hot there where the carb holders attach to the head.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

ah the joy of pulling carbs......if its any comfort after the 4th or 5th time removing and replacing you start to develop a system
              Abe
              1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
              poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

Comment

Once you hit 25 or 30 times you start timing yourself. In my prime I got to "running bike to carbs on the bench" in under 13 minutes....

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
                X