• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broadwaytitle.com titlesunlimited.com
    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
      Same idea here in NY... I've tried to get a title from NY Title Bureau with no luck. Of course they don't give you all the options on how to go about getting one either! Do a search on title and you will come up with more info on this subject. Some people have used International Title Service with success. I've considered trying them but went on their facebook page and a few people were complaining they took their money and never delivered! IDK if they are still in business or not but it sounds like our best bet if they are still open... otherwise unless you have family or a friend in CA who could put it on the road in CA then transfer ownership back to you... (my understanding is they don't use titles in CA for proof of ownership to register motorcycles).
      Ca does use titles. They do however have a process for titling a vehicle that does not have a clear title, but it can be expensive, as it involves a bond and such. It can also take some time to accomplish as well.\
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

title

Contact your insuance company and ask if you can buy a bonded title.
        In Mt. I bought a bonded title and d.o.t. inspected and I got a clear title. It cost me $100.00

Comment

title

I've heard about the insurance bond ting...I'm calling in the morn!
          At this time:
          1985 Goldwing Innr.
          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
          2007 vtx 1300
          81 sx 1100 s h
          81 sx 400 special

Comment

WA works this way. Registered letter to last known address. Show up at Dept of Licensing with the rejected letter and seems to me I had a bill of sale from the guy I got it from. They issue a conditional title. After three years with no claims against the title by the last title holder the bike is yours. There is a little paperwork involved so the governor can get a cut.

I did a pretty extensive search for my guy and found him in a newspaper article tossing sandbags for a river flood. Ended up talking to one of his uncles who didn't want anything to do with him. Then I happened to look in the daily local jail register and he was cooling his jets in there a couple of times over year one of me owning the bike. Figured I could go to the jail and have him sign off at the risk of him claiming the bike or getting enough information about me to send his bad guy buddies to steal it. Figured I'd just let it lie and let the clock roll. Just about at the end of year two.

He sold it to the guy I got it from for $200 pretty well trashed. I hauled it away for $50 and was questioning my sanity at that! I did call our state patrol and they verified it hadn't been reported stolen. And when I got pulled over by the local policeman (who I think just wanted to check it and me out because he was a bike guy) because I had a "paper" plate for a couple of weeks he verified it as not stolen, too.

Love the bike, wouldn't do the no title action again. One year to go!

If any of those services work out would you let us know?
            Bothell, WA
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I know it's no help to you guys, but damn you have some strange rules. Here we only have a certificate of registration (often called 'ownership papers, but they're not). If a vehicle remains unregistered for over 12 months then it automatically gets de-registered. To put it back on the road we have to get it re-certified, which involves a thorough safety inspection, a stolen vehicle check, re-registration and a new plate.

I had to do it when I bought my 11 as the plate had been dead for two years. Cost me $337 IIRC, and an afternoon off work.

Our cert of rego is not proof of ownership, and dont need proof of ownership to register a rebuilt, or restored vehicle. We do if we are privately importing a used vehicle, but that only has to be something as simple as a letter from the seller. (which could be written by anyone). Dealers have much stricter rules, due to thousands of Jap imports hitting our shores a few years back with the speedo's wound back. Verifiable vehicle histories from the country of origin are now mandatory.
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Ya might want to look into the process of gettin it titled as a "homemade" vechicle. A buddy of mine has done that a few times for the trikes he has concocted from a pile of parts.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

You can get a title with a little bit of work. I have gone through a company called I.T.S. several times, never on a large bike. They basically have you sign a letter giving them power of attorney and then title it in Maine, if you want plates, you have to provide insurance verification, if not, they just send you the Maine title and then you transfer to your state.

Pretty easy and takes about three (3) weeks and about $200.
                  Good luck
                  Jamie

Comment

A car fax report is about $35.00, and lists all previous owners, including Canada.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I'm currently going through the courts here in St. Louis to get a title for my XS850. Total cost will run around $150. Some states have actual packets of paperwork that you can just fill out and take to the courthouse to get it done. I modified a form from Minnesota that I found online, and submitted it locally. So far, it looks good, and I have a May 11th court date. I first submitted it to the court in February...

I know there are online services like this one out of Louisianna and Maine (IIRC) that will do it for around $350. You then take the LA title to your state and get it transferred over. There is a LOT of red tape to cut through, and the prices are going up for these services.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        I know there are online services like this one out of Louisianna and Maine (IIRC) that will do it for around $350. You then take the LA title to your state and get it transferred over. There is a LOT of red tape to cut through, and the prices are going up for these services.
                        I will need a title for a 34 chevy p/u sometime here in the future and they charge a grand for it! Nope!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah... Not sure why the price skyrockets for a vehicle that old, but there must be more paperwork and footwork involved.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

I know it does not help you but...
                            Here in Utah they must be a little more laxed about titles. All you need is a bill of sales and a police inspection report and you can get a title. I have done this a couple of times.
                            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Here in Alberta it is much more simple to register a vehicle all you need is a bill of sale, and then they check if the serial number is registerable in alberta, if not it need an out of province inspection if last registered in another province, and if it was a write off which could be anything from a theft recovery to an accident repair, this is easy enough to get done just have to bring it to a government approved garage and spend $150.00 get it inspected if all passed, bring the paperwork with you back to registeries and get your registration, even if you import a vehicle from the states it is not much different, all canadian tire store can do this inspection.
                              '79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                              X