kick starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kick starter

I have heard that the 79 f models had a kick starter stored somewhere and when you needed it you could unstow it and attach it to the bike. What year did this start and if it is on a 79f where is it supposed to be stored.

If you have a flat, round, plastic plug above the oil level site glass, you can't use it. It is stored across the frame, in front of the trailing arm's pivot point (I think) and is secured in place with a wingnut.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have a serrated post that has a rubber cover over it. I can move this post slightly by hand I mean slightly.it has kick start on the cover. I just don't have or know where the kick start is. Any body got a picture

Comment

Ahhhh......the serrations are called splines. Look for a storage pocket right above this shaft. Kick start lever will be in it if you are lucky.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The way I've heard it in the past, you might be luckier still if you do not find the kickstarter, especially if you weigh anything less than about 300 pounds. Then again, I guess there could be a few XSives who meet this minimum requirement...
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Look to your left,in front of frame downtube on same side as rubber plug on the shaft.Should see a black cover with a wingnut sticking out from it.You don`t have to remove to see if you have a kickstarter pedal.Just look.That`s where the kickstarter is on my bike{78E}.Note:if you try to use it,take wrench and tighten pedal on good, will come off if don`t.There is a trick to kickstarting a XS but it can be done,I have and weigh 180.Hope this helps PS.Peek in from where wingnut is{behind motor,near battery but under the battery }can be hard to spot!Hope I didn`t get you
            Bill Harvell

Comment

I have found kicking these bikes over is not too bad- on my 79f I put the lever off a xs750 on, so I could leave it on & use as needed (I'll ride when it's too cold to turn over electricly), but it won't fit w/the same motor in my 80lg frame (hits the exaust).
              James

Comment

Found the part on the frame where the wing nut mus go but there is nothing there. maybe I'll find one later and install it. Hope I'll never need it but just in case , it may save me one day.

Comment

the PO of my bike messed the threads up pretty bad when he tried installing the kickstart with the assistance of a hammer. If you find a source for really cheap ones let me know.
                  79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                  07 V-star 1100
                  Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Other than the fact that the XS11 might be tough to crank-over with a kick starter, if you are thinking of starting it when the battery is run down, forget it. The electronic ignition needs something like 10.5 volts just to send spark to the coils.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                    X