Carb Boot Nipple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Boot Nipple

Alright so I was cleaning up my carb intake boots in preparation to put them back on soon and I found one of the vac nipples can be pulled out. I know someone had this issue recently but can't find the thread. So I am looking for suggestions for permanent solutions to fix it. Boots are basically new so I won't replace them.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

That's f-ed up. How about JB weld?
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

JB weld gets soft in gas.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Not really. Folks use it to fix broken float posts all the time.

I re-sealed my carb boot nipple with RTV. It's just pushed into the rubber part of the boot anyway. Just be careful when you pull the cap off next time.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Don't want to derail your thread, Nate, but I have a question as well. PO removed the octy, and the middle left carb has no vacuum cap on it. Is there a possible reason, or is it just MIA? Bike runs fine, so I haven't taken the time to replace it. Probably sucking in all kinds of dirt (damn oklahoma dustbowl).

As far as your concern, I agree with Bug and would use black RTV.
          Richard
          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

I've used JBWeld many times to fix holes in gas tanks and it's lasted for years. In that application I can't see why it wouldn't last forever, and it's actually marketed for that type of use, which they wouldn't do if it didn't work for that.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
              Don't want to derail your thread, Nate, but I have a question as well. PO removed the octy, and the middle left carb has no vacuum cap on it. Is there a possible reason, or is it just MIA? Bike runs fine, so I haven't taken the time to replace it. Probably sucking in all kinds of dirt (damn oklahoma dustbowl).

It's messing up your carb sync and your mixture, and eating up your cylinder and needs to be plugged asap!
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

yeah go to NAPA and get some vacuum caps and get that thing plugged and resync. Think, you are sucking in unaltered air through that hole....

I have never had JB weld stand up over time in petroleum products, and I would NEVER use it to fix a float post. Rtv is so far looking like the winner though, or nipple clamps.....
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

- - - PO removed the octy, and the middle left carb has no vacuum cap on it. Is there a possible reason, or is it just MIA? Bike runs fine, so I haven't taken the time to replace it. Probably sucking in all kinds of dirt (damn oklahoma dustbowl).
                  Hi Okie,
                  what a great bike the XS11 is! It even runs fine with one vacuum cap missing. (Or with one air pod missing, as I know from personal experience. But that was in B.C.'s rain cleansed air, not the Okie dust bowl.)
                  Thing is, there's extra air coming in with that nasty abrasive dust and if the PO adjusted the carbs rather than install the missing vacuum cap, you may need to readjust when you cap it off again.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks guys, I have plenty of vacuum caps in my tool box from my carbureted racing days, and will put one to good use. Come to think of it, she does run like she is missing at lower rpm's, but when above 3,000, hold the f on! Maybe vac cap will clear that up and help fuel mileage? I shall find out.
                    Richard
                    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                    '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

or nipple clamps.....

Don't know if the wife is willing to give those up! Just kidding!
                      Richard
                      '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

nipple clamps?

Sounds too painful!!

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Only if the chain is too short?
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Yeah, the one of my new (at the time) carb manifold nipples rotated when I was trying to take off the hose with pliars. I just pushed it back into position and all is well. It seals well and is tight enough that it wont fall out.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally Posted by XSive Okie View Post
                              - - - PO removed the octy, and the middle left carb has no vacuum cap on it.
                              That carb port is for your vac advance if your talking about the carb itself.. If the advance is plugged on the manifold ports it will not work right. Just saying
                              79SF
                              XJ11
                              78E

Comment

Working...
                              X