Diode Install for '79 Special Single Turn Signal Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diode Install for '79 Special Single Turn Signal Indicator

So, here's the situation. I tried to convert my turn signals to LED bulbs on my bike, which I thought was an '80 Special, but turns out to be an '80 Standard with the lights and cluster from a '79 Special. The problem is that the '79 Special cluster has a single turn signal indicator, similar to that of the XS 650's and 400's. Because of the lower draw of the LED bulbs, the excess voltage usually used by the incandescent bulbs, is feeding back through the single signal indicator.

The solution,appears to be the installation of diodes, so that the excess voltage doesn't feedback through the single signal indicator. Apparently Mike's XS used to sell a kit specifically for this purpose.

The question, is where exactly in the wiring to put these diodes?

I traced the wiring through the cluster and inside the headlight and down to the chassis where I found a flasher relay, just below the fuse box, under the right side cover. This controls the blinking of the single signal indicator. I'm wondering if this might possibly be where those diode need to be. This is just a guess.

Thanks to Cy, and bikerphil for their help on this so far!
    Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
    (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't understand your problem. What exactly is happening when you hit the turn signal switch?
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

@Davinci
      With the LED's installed, if you signal Left or Right, all four bulbs come on but don't flash, and if you turn the hazards on all four bulbs flash, but only at half intensity. After discussing it with Cy and bikerphil, the conclusion seems to be that because the LED's draw less current than traditional bulbs, that the excess amperage is feeding back through the signal indicator because on the 79 Special cluster, it's only one bulb for both directions, not two like the other XS11 clusters. The XS 650's have the same single bulb signal indicators, and at some point Mike's XS sold a kit to solve the feedback issue using diodes, which don't allow the voltage to feedback trough the signal indicator bulb.
      I'm trying to determine exactly where these diodes would need to be wired in, to stop said feedback.
      Pat K

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Pat, it sounds like you have several things going on here (from also reading your flasher thread).

First, the one side not flashing/flashing at a different rate is due to a poor connection or connections in the circuit, so you need to address that. Poor grounds are the usual culprits, but look at everything.

Next, if you remove the instrument panel indicator light, do the turn signals then work correctly? If they do, then we'll deal with the dash light. But if they don't, you still have issues in the wiring and need to fix that.

Now, if you've got everything working right with the dash indicator out, let's fix that. As it is, the bulb is connected to the 'power' wire from each side; should be a chocolate and a dark green. Note that there's no 'ground'. A bit of rewiring is needed besides adding the diodes. Disconnect both wires from the lamp, and take one to ground (preferably the one connected the outer shell, not the center contact). Install a diode on each of the turn signal wires (getting 'direction' right), then connect the diodes to the light. This will allow power 'in' to the lamp and to ground, but will prevent feedback to the other side. Below is a simple diagram to clearly show this.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'd try to install the diodes in the light cluster to protect them; put some shrink tube over them too. Hopefully I have the diode 'direction' shown right (always have trouble with that for some reason ); if the light doesn't come on, the diodes are backwards. Use a diode rated for at least .5 amp, 1 amp would be better...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

@Steve
          Thanks a million! I knew you would be the guy to go to. I believe it may indeed be a grounding issue, as the housing on the right front turn signal is not firmly mounted to it's stem, I'm not quite sure how to get that the seem between the stem and the housing tighter, as it appears to be a friction fit. I suppose worst case scenario, I can always run a ground wire through the stem to the housing, along side the positive lead.

As far as your diagram goes, I'm pretty sure you have the diodes facing the right way, at least from what I can remember from my Electronics for Audio class back in college.

Now I just need to find some good diodes, but I'll probably have to settle for what I can find at Radio Shack.
          Pat K

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            Pat, it sounds like you have several things going on here (from also reading your flasher thread).

First, the one side not flashing/flashing at a different rate is due to a poor connection or connections in the circuit, so you need to address that. Poor grounds are the usual culprits, but look at everything.

Next, if you remove the instrument panel indicator light, do the turn signals then work correctly? If they do, then we'll deal with the dash light. But if they don't, you still have issues in the wiring and need to fix that.

Now, if you've got everything working right with the dash indicator out, let's fix that. As it is, the bulb is connected to the 'power' wire from each side; should be a chocolate and a dark green. Note that there's no 'ground'. A bit of rewiring is needed besides adding the diodes. Disconnect both wires from the lamp, and take one to ground (preferably the one connected the outer shell, not the center contact). Install a diode on each of the turn signal wires (getting 'direction' right), then connect the diodes to the light. This will allow power 'in' to the lamp and to ground, but will prevent feedback to the other side. Below is a simple diagram to clearly show this.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'd try to install the diodes in the light cluster to protect them; put some shrink tube over them too. Hopefully I have the diode 'direction' shown right (always have trouble with that for some reason ); if the light doesn't come on, the diodes are backwards. Use a diode rated for at least .5 amp, 1 amp would be better...
            That looks right from my memory what with suffering from CRS and all. I'm pretty sure those are drawed the right way as well, IIRC you draw the triangle facing towards the negative pole of the circuit. But that's how I remember it being setup, and is why it doesn't work with the LED's because with the single light setup the light is lit by grounding through the bulbs on the unlit side. With LEDs this is enough to light them.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

@Cy
              Hey Cy, thanks for helping me to diagnose the problem in the first place. The CRS can't be all that bad, as you remembered the basic premise of the problem and the solution.

Any thoughts on how to get a tighter grip between the flasher housing and it's stem, in order to get a better ground?
              Pat K

Comment

One more thing I'm still not sure on there are two flasher relays on the bike, the one under the seat by the battery, and the one under the fuse panel inside the right side cover. Which one does the no load flasher relay replace?
                Pat K

Comment

The one by the battery is the four-way, the one by the fuse panel is the turns and the one you need to replace. Actually, with all LEDs, you should replace both with electronic flashers.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...