Just about ready to give up on the super xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    Yeah I thought vac advance right away too.
    I don't think a pro would call a vacuum advance a vacuum relay, as that's such a commonly known part. But the octy is not so commonly known, and is pretty much unique to Yamaha. But they would be able to tell that it worked as a relay of sorts and was vacuum operated, which is not uncommon on autos, so the idea isn't unheard of, just the particular use of it.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If ya don't know what it is, don't make up a name for it!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        If ya don't know what it is, don't make up a name for it!
        But you miss the point. If he was talking about the octy, it IS a vacuum relay, and the only one on the bike. So if you don't know the name of the vacuum relay in question, but know that the vacuum relay was the problem do you just say, this little thing here that I don't know what it's called? No, you say, the vacuum relay, which it is, it just happens to have a name. And it's not even called the octy officially, that's just what we call it, it may be that some mechanics call it that. Yamaha calls it the diaphragm assembly, and bike bandit says it's $104 for one, but I'll bet if you tried to order one you can't get it.

Just because the term someone else uses doesn't agree with the unofficial term we use, doesn't mean their unofficial term is any more wrong than out unofficial term.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Sry xslover it seems a few of us have gotten carried away and highjacked your thread
          1980 XS standard With Pods and Harley mufflers

Comment

New octy

I bought a new one. $68, IIRC.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

anti-fuel leak leaker I like it.
              Sorry to but in, but this thing is still messed up. I'm starting to think it has more to do with the crappy battery I have than anything else. When the battery is full charged it turns over and runs without popping abd crapping out but today after snapping pics it was slow to turn over and back to popping and turning the center pipes red again. The battery is back on the charger....we'll see what it does after it's charged. Yeh I know, check the float height......I don't want to take those carbs out again.
              Anybody want some cr special carbs? How about an msd ignition? I don't think the super bike is for me. I just want a simple xs11 again.
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

Well, we all know how the battery plays a big part in how well these bikes run. And with you having a stronger ignition system with the MSD setup, it may be even more important. I'd at least invest in a good battery before you go tearing it apart. Worst case, you still have a good battery for the field bike.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

OK, I went and go a new battery, charged it, filled up the gas tank, and started it up. The popping and sputtering was gone, so I hopped on and went for a ride. I noticed right away that it was running alot better. I took it outside of town and let it rip down the road to the freeway. The front tire popped of the ground in second and I have a feeling it may come up in third too if you were hard on it.
                  I put it on ebay. I have been holding until the end of the auction to update the thread.....I have been accused of only coming around when I have a sale to make. It only went up to $1900 and that was my reserve price. It seemed like a good base at the time. In a way I hope he doesn't follow through, it doesn't seem like enough now that the auction is over. If he pays me it's new tires and inspection for the field bomb, and almost enough to pay my real estate taxes. Not a bad deal I guess, who knows it would have only costme $$$ to keep it. Speeding tickets and other related costs.......
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

Hey Garret,

I would not agree with the thought of you only coming around to sell stuff. And honestly, by not posting here it was for sale, all that did was keep someone here that may have been interested from knowing it was for sale. Not bashing you for it, just saying that whoever was only served to keep the group from knowing a really cool ride was available.

but anyway, as to the price, it seems like a nicely built machine with some great custom parts. And it sounds like something with enough power you better dang well respect it or it will kill you!! All of that, unfortunately, narrows the market for who would want to own it considerably. So, it probably could have sold for more, but it would take finding the right buyer, which takes time.

But it sure does look like a REALLY nice bike!!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                    X