Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need help to get my bike going or im going to scrap it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
    When i rev it up it will charge slitely but never gets above like 12.3 or somewhere around there. You think could have bad ground cable?
    12.3 is NOT charging, not even slightly. The first thing to check is that the grounds from the engine and regulator are good. The FSM and other service manuals all have troubleshooting charts so you can troubleshoot it.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
      Oh also i tried the magnetic trick and it is magnetized with the key on so someone said that means the field coil is working it also ohmed out fine i was told by another guy you cant always go by that. I dont know if i mentioned that i replaced the regulator with a new one too. Im in the process of going threw my carbs so i wont be able to work on the electtical for a few days but hope to be riding soon.
      Did you replace it with a NEW one or a "new to you" used one? The FSM has a procedure for testing the charging system which includes checks for both the field coil and the stator coils and include resistance checks. If they are out of spec, it won't charge correctly even with a good reg/rect. As far as the field coil ohming out, you can almost always go by that, actually I've never seen one check out good and then be bad, although I've seen one check bad and work just fine. I've also seen a stator coil check out bad (resistance a little high, I mean like like a factor of 2 or 3 high) and work just wonderfully, but I've never seen one test out good and be bad. There are also tests for the reg/rect, and I've actually seen those test good and be bad, but that's the ONLY thing I've seen do that, but there is a test in the tech tips under electrical that will point to that.

That said, if the battery is fully charged at 12.5 volts before you start, and doesn't then rise to 14.2 - 14.6 or pretty close to that (and no lower than the 14.2) at 3000 RPM then the charging system isn't working, but if the field and stator coils check out and the connectors and grounds in the charging system all check out as clean and tight, then it pretty much almost HAS to be the regulator, but the voltage tests on these systems are only valid with a good charged battery, they WILL almost always fail with a bad or significantly discharged battery.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Check for voltage between the red wire coming out of the regulator and the negative battery terminal; check on the regulator side of the plug. With the bike running, you should see about 13 volts at idle, and the numbers Cy gives at higher rpm. If you do see these numbers, then the problem is in the red wire back to the battery and/or it's plug connections (common problem).

If you don't see these numbers, then the problem is in the charging system itself. Probably 98% of the wiring problems on these bikes is poor connections, whether they're dirty, corroded, or loose. Look here for a detailed checking method... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...941#post355941 ... and there's links at the bottom to how to 'read' the meter and an overview of the wiring.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

i say slightly charging as in if i rev the engine my meeter show the voltage increase but never a whole volt. The regulator that i put on yesterday was brand new. Some one mentioned a diode under the tank i forgot to check that out. So i plan on checking that out tonight also will check the grounds.
          80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
          79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
          82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
          81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
          06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
          81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
          81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

The diode has nothing to do with the charging system; it's there to operate the headlight relay...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

ok well i am having problems with the headlight too maybe that will fix that.
              80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
              79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
              82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
              81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
              06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
              81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
              81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

The headlight relay is supposed to turn on the headlight when the motor starts. If the stator has output (even if the rest of the charging system isn't working), the light will come on if the diode and relay is good.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...