Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need help to get my bike going or im going to scrap it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help to get my bike going or im going to scrap it!

So i have an 80 xs11 and i cant get the bike to charge the battery. the battery was new last year and it holds a charge just fine. have tried different alternator and regulator off of another bike don't know if any of them are good. does someone have any pinpoint test to help me narrow down and rule out my problem parts.
    80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
    79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
    82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
    81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
    06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
    81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
    81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

do what i did CHEAT!!!! load it up in the truck and ship her off to a good shop.
    1980 XS standard With Pods and Harley mufflers

Comment

Does the tach work?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

but what did they find wrong with it. and what did it cost you?
        81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

no shop time. As was asked, does the tach work? Start by telling the group that then someone will suggest the next step
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

i dont know i took the whole cluster off. didnt like the way it looked
            81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
              i dont know i took the whole cluster off. didnt like the way it looked
              The charging system drives the tach and thats a common place to start when troubleshooting. can you plug it back in or did you booger the wiring harnes?
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

it used to work without it. i still have it. if i plug it back in what kinda testing can i do to find out what the problem is?
                81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

but what did they find wrong with it. and what did it cost you?
                  Dont know and dont care ....just droped bike off on friday when it comes down to paying or not riding i will pick paying everytime.
                  1980 XS standard With Pods and Harley mufflers

Comment

it used to work without it. i still have it. if i plug it back in what kinda testing can i do to find out what the problem is?
                    The tach gets the signal from the charging system. If the tac works you are charging. Some bikes (not sure which ones dont) have a diode in the harness that can go bad and cause you problems. Do a search for diode and look at the tech tips for charging system. Sometimes its as simple as a bad connection.
                    You can work your way through most issues with these bikes if you try. They are very user friendly as far as repairs go. Could be someone in your area with an 11 can help out

What year and style bike do you have?

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

i know they are easy to work on im just running into a wall. i was wondering if there were some test it can go threw with a test light and my meeter of proper voltages and things to isolate the problem
                      81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

where are the diodes so i can check them out?
                        81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

For starters you can't test with parts that you don't know are good.

You can start with this tech tip from the tech tips section of the site: http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...eshooting.html

You will of course need some basic electrical tools, a digital multimeter and such. It would also be good to dowload the manuals from Catatonicbugs web site, the link is in any of his posts. You don't need the tach on the bike, it's just one of the indicators of system operation, and not even an accurate one all the time, mine worked fine and my alternator didn't work.

One of the other things to check, and you can do so as part of the tech tip, is to check the connector behind the fuse box, the one with the 3 white wires, it can get corroded and melt and that will make it not work, or just get corroded and make it not work. But start out with those checks, and go through the rest of the electrical stuff in the tech tips, it will guide you through a lot of the charging system stuff if you read through those.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

i know they are easy to work on im just running into a wall. i was wondering if there were some test it can go threw with a test light and my meeter of proper voltages and things to isolate the problem
                            Find the member Catatonic bug in his signature he has a link to a manual you can download. in the manual is an electrical section which has check out procedure. Most of of us start with the 3 white wire connector behind the fuse box.
                            This connector is the lines from the alternator.
                            Also if you have not replaced your fuse box consider it now and save yourself some grief.

Rick
                            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                            650SF
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                            XS1100SG Project bike
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

I have an 81 special mine was under the gastank look in front of the regulator in the harness you will see a white wire under the tape, mine was looped in the bundle near the reserve lighting device. The diode is in a clear plastic protector kind a thing...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=diode

1980 LG
                              1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X