$#%* Carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobia

I had the same thing, when you do the tang adjustment Phil mentioned, it will fix it as the float doesn't move enough for the wire to catch and bind
    Originally posted by Cobia View Post
    Marty,
    I had/have the same sporadic flooding problem on #4. It only hapens when it's on the sidestand for an extended period of time, like overnight.
    What happens is that the wires on the top of the main needle get sideways on the float tang and the needle sticks open. And, yes, I did install the hex head bolts you gave me and that has made it possible to take the bowl off and correct the issue, twice now..... thanks!!!
    Phil mentioned that "stopper" tang adjustment but I haven't taken the carbs off yet to do it. I just use the centerstand when it's unused for a long while.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Marty consider what loho said about the inlet needle wire clips mine ran like a champ but if a ran it out hard and caught second hard enough to lift the front i would lose a cylinder and have to shut off the fuel to stop the flooding then wrap on the float bowl drain to get it to stop leaking. while sitting at my bench staring at the floats i noticed the clips where formed differently and if turned just right would cause the needle to not seat fully, i put the original clips back in and have lifted the front many times without any ill effects.
      Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
      XS1100LG Precious current
      XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
      KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Marty,
        Can't believe that the "pro" that did your carbs didn't take the time to verify that your floats didn't stick and had the necessary free travel for proper operation....
        OEM,
        That's not always an easy thing to diagnose because by the time you get the carbs off, with all the jiggling and turning, they can get 'unstuck' by themselves. It happened to me a couple of times until I discovered it after the last time I had them out. Didn't know enough that time to adjust the 'limiter' tang......
        lvrsnr,
        You crazy animal !!!! Lifting the front regularly.. !!!!!! Holy Shiite !!!!
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Yep. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. No matter how many times it takes.

I hope I'm done. I have an XS650 that always starts on the first kick. It has the same carburetors, and they haven't been touched in many years.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            - - - I hope I'm done. I have an XS650 that always starts on the first kick. It has the same carburetors, and they haven't been touched in many years.
            Hi Marty,
            it's the square law vs the cube law thing. Twice the carbs means eight times the problems. That's why I pine for one big ol' Stromberg.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

cobia i know that that's not the best thing to do to our trannys, but sometimes you have to let the inner child out to play. i know you know what i mean. and if you happen to destory someone who thought your old bike was tired then so much the better... god help me cause i do love it so.
              Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
              XS1100LG Precious current
              XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
              KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                I had the same thing, when you do the tang adjustment Phil mentioned, it will fix it as the float doesn't move enough for the wire to catch and bind
                IIRC, turning that wire around the other way also helps that problem as well. I had that same problem as mostly fixed that problem by turning them around the other way (so they are further onto the tab) and it works better, but they can still if that's not adjusted drop far enough to cock the needle valve in the seat so IT binds and sticks . So then I found out about the adjustment. This was on my XS400 BTW, which shares the same carbs with my XS11, although being an early 80 model, it like the early 80 11's has the hybrid carbs with the cross passage AND brass floats .
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ok

OK, I thought it was a given that the wire would be at the most inward position on the float tang don't know why you would do it any other way All I was thinking / saying was when BikerPhil helped me understand about the tang that stops the float from dropping down and binding on the needle, well, it helped me, and I hope it might help others. Gas in oil, changing oil, pulling carbs I am thankfull for Phil's help, didn't mean to make anyone mad, just trying to pay it forward

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  IIRC, turning that wire around the other way also helps that problem as well. I had that same problem as mostly fixed that problem by turning them around the other way (so they are further onto the tab) and it works better, but they can still if that's not adjusted drop far enough to cock the needle valve in the seat so IT binds and sticks . So then I found out about the adjustment. This was on my XS400 BTW, which shares the same carbs with my XS11, although being an early 80 model, it like the early 80 11's has the hybrid carbs with the cross passage AND brass floats .
                  1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                  1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
                  X