XJ11 Caliper rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 Caliper rebuild

I have no idea how well the bike has been maintained till I got it. If the way the carbs were mis-adjusted (idle jets tightened 100% of the way down), I am replacing aging parts before running the bike on the road.

I'm replacing the brakes, looking for the best price on stainless braid brake lines and want to rebuild the calipers. I found one place selling the REAR Caliper rebuild kit but minus the fluid seal circular retaining circlip & I'd have to reuse the old one. I haven't replaced these before so I have no idea what the circlip looks like or how it's placed.

Does reusing the retaining circlip sound reasonable and is there any issue removing it or re-installing it in the caliper or wherever it goes?

Alternatively, suggestions where I can get complete OEM rebuild kits at a good price? AND is there any real benefit to getting OEM over aftermarket?

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

I would say chacal at bikes.com would be your best bet for XJ lines, chexk out c-bug signature for a direct link.

As tocaliper rebuild kits, 98% of the time all they need is a total disassemble and cleaning and no new parts. So pull it apart first.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      I would say chacal at bikes.com would be your best bet for XJ lines, chexk out c-bug signature for a direct link.

As tocaliper rebuild kits, 98% of the time all they need is a total disassemble and cleaning and no new parts. So pull it apart first.
      That's good to know cause after storing mine for the winter and starting to ride this week i noticed that the rear brake is sticking. Looks like i'll be pulling it apart and cleaning it.
      82 XJ1100
      Regina,Saskatchewan,
      Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I reused all three of my clips with no problems. As long as you don't severely distort it when removing it, you should be able to clean it a bit with wire wool and re-use it......
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

wire wool

Originally posted by James England View Post
          clean it a bit with wire wool and re-use it......

James does that "wire wool" come from these metal sheep?
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilt/3351416956/

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Good replies.

I've rebuilt car calipers before but never a bike. Other than the obvious tears in anything rubber or pitting in the metal piston, is there something in the process I might need to be aware of before I start into it?

Thanks
            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I'd say the main thing to look at is getting the groove the piston seal fits into as clean as possible; at least 90% of the caliper problems reported is caused by corrosion behind the seal. If your bike has high mileage (I'd say 80K miles or more), I would use new seals as they may be worn enough to cause problems, but under that you can usually just thoroughly clean everything and reuse it.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Mileage is around 20K but whoever owned it before had no conception of how to care for it properly. Ah well, that's my job now & I'm enjoying it. I have to admit it's fun to work on such a beautiful machine.

If it's not the age & constant exposure to the brake fluid that causes the pitting then it'll probably be OK. I don't see any leakage but I will need to clear out the spooge hole on the MC as there's sticking when the wheel is turned and the bike is pushed.

It was suggested to me to block off the brake hose port with a bolt and then use a grease gun to the bleeder to pressure out the piston. Since there's three calipers how else might I get the piston out easily with less mess?

Comment

hi kaij,

tho ive never done it, the grease gun works if u have
                  a seized calliper, if the callipers are working and ur pulling
                  them apart to clean, u can pump the lever til the piston just
                  about pops out and using a pair of multi grips remove the piston the rest
                  of the way, if u want to block the hoses off, clamp a pair of vice grips
                  to the rubber brake hose that will stop any fluid from getting past.

on reassemby coat the rubber seals with brake fluid or rubber grease,

and prime the master cylinder before attaching to the bike.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Compressed air pops the piston out as well. Less mess, more dangerous. Put something like a wood door shim over the piston and wrap it with rags. That piston will go flying/smash fingers if left to its own devices!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

[QUOTE=petejw;318562]hi kaij,

if u want to block the hoses off, clamp a pair of vice grips

QUOTE]

Uhh, I wouldn't do that. Gas lines, with no reinforcing braids, you might get away with that, but brake lines have woven cords in them, that when pinched, can be weakened or broken. You can't see it, but the damage is done, and when you do a "for real" panic stop, you don't want the hose to spring a leak where you pinched it.
                      Go ahead, and drain the old fluid, it probably needed it anyway. CZ

Comment

[QUOTE=CaptonZap;318573]
                        Originally posted by petejw View Post
                        hi kaij,

if u want to block the hoses off, clamp a pair of vice grips

QUOTE]

Uhh, I wouldn't do that. Gas lines, with no reinforcing braids, you might get away with that, but brake lines have woven cords in them, that when pinched, can be weakened or broken. You can't see it, but the damage is done, and when you do a "for real" panic stop, you don't want the hose to spring a leak where you pinched it.
                        Go ahead, and drain the old fluid, it probably needed it anyway. CZ

hi captainzap,
                        kai stated he was replacing his brake lines in his first post, so that wouldnt be a problem,
                        it was something we used to do on cars when replacing rear wheel cylinders,
                        or removing front callipers,
                        it only needs to be slightly clamped (pinched together) but i understand where ur coming from.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I am cleaning the rear caliper on my bike and am having a tough time getting the piston seal groove clean. Will a dremel with a brass brush work without damaging anything?
                          82 XJ1100
                          Regina,Saskatchewan,
                          Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I found that a toothbrush dipped in Brake fluid loosened the gunk pretty good. The whole dremel thing might work but I would just pick away at it with hand stuff myself. The XJ's are harder to find parts for if you do bugger something up.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks,
                              that's what i am doing now. Should have it back together soon
                              82 XJ1100
                              Regina,Saskatchewan,
                              Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Working...
                              X