#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Fairing

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      I looked at that, it is not what I am after.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

rooster vetter vs maier sport

Sorry Unkle - not meaning to steal your thread but I think this applies to what you are looking for...

Has anyone run both the Rooster Vetter (slightly larger than Maier) seen here
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

And can compare it to the Maier Sport Fairing that Bob Jones used on his "special builds" seen here
        http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/lar...ound-headlight

I have been considering the slightly larger Vetter Rooster since you could load one speaker with a speaker and the other with "stuff" and the Maier doesn't offer that though both look to provide the same "off the chest" wind protection.

Just looking to see if anyone has good/bad things to say.

Back to you UC...

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

This is a Tracy quarter fairing with custom mounts. It can be removed or installed in less than 30 seconds. Blocks just the right amount of wind.

2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

If your looking for smaller, you might look for a Vetter Quicksilver fairing. Their smaller and while it's not quite as easy to find the mount for these bike for that fairing they are around.

Now that said, the Windjammer was THE fairing for the early Goldwings, and it wouldn't have been the big success it was if it caused handling problems. So I still say something's wrong on your installation (steering head, mounting frame or something), they just don't behave that way unless something is wrong, I've ridden my 400 both with and without a windjammer, significant distances at high speeds in both cases, and it handles much better with far less buffeting with the jammer on it than naked.

But there are several quicksilvers on ebay right now, and they are significantly smaller, and I would 100% recommend a frame mounted over handlebar mounted system every time. The handlebar mounted systems will transfer anything that hits them to the steering, the frame mounted systems transfer that to a solid frame, HUGE difference in the effect on handling and the amount of effort the driver must put out.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

pacifico fairing is great

i ride 2 up all the time ,I wouldn't want to ride without one . We can do 85 plus mph and have NO wind buffeting at all. I have no wind at all behind the fairing , I have to run a vent hose to get wind to my helmet.
              Very stable even in a side wind. I really enjoy riding with one hand and don't have to have a steel grip to stay on the bike.(setting upright)

Comment

Nice input

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                Sorry Unkle - not meaning to steal your thread but I think this applies to what you are looking for...

Has anyone run both the Rooster Vetter (slightly larger than Maier) seen here
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

And can compare it to the Maier Sport Fairing that Bob Jones used on his "special builds" seen here
                http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/lar...ound-headlight

I have been considering the slightly larger Vetter Rooster since you could load one speaker with a speaker and the other with "stuff" and the Maier doesn't offer that though both look to provide the same "off the chest" wind protection.

Just looking to see if anyone has good/bad things to say.

Back to you UC...

John
                Both of those look good, as in much better than the old Vetter.
                For the moment I will install a bar mounted unit about 18 inches wide and 16 inches tall. The angle of attack can be changed so I will play with that.
                The bullet type for the Maier would be nice but will probably let more rain get past. Would be nice for summer riding with the larger unit for winter.

UC

Comment

This, just in.

Yami is more stable with the lowers removed.
                  As I suspected the large bat wings on the Vetter force a lot of air down which was bouncing off the lowers.
                  That air / wind can now be felt on my legs, more so than a naked bike.
                  If this does not make sense, think about why planes lower their landing gear to reduce bouncing araound in turbulent air.
                  The bat wings have a lift component about them, while the top part of the fairing has down type pressure. They are doing battle and causing turbulence.
                  The air going around the fairing creates a dull roar.

As said above I will try a bar mounted unit first to form a base comparison.
                  I hear what is being said about frame versus bar mounts.
                  I want to make the change soon, making mounts will require time, so one step at a time. Maybe a bullet style later. As always I will keep you posted.

The Suzuki will be fired up in a few weeks which will allow more time to fiddle with Yami.

What was acceptable in 1979 with respect to brakes, turbulance and handling is not the standard today.
                  I used to ride a 350 Triumph side valve twin. Also rode a BSA Victor that had zero suspension. I could go on.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Ot

Hi Crusty,

In speaking of your bicycle design friend, you are no doubt speaking of the bicycle world renowned George Gorgiev, if there is anyone on earth that can help design a slippery fairing it would be him. Ive never had the pleasure to meet him, nor even see in person , one of his faired recumbent bikes, but his fairings have held pedal records for more than a decade now. There lies genius.

[QUOTE=Crusty Snippets;318236]
                    Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                    Here's my LG with a Maier Sport fairing

Here it is with a (I think) National Cycle smallish windshield

Thanks for the info.
                    The Maier is similar to the unit at Niche Cycle and the other one does look like the small unit at National.

I was confident the bullet type / sport fairing would allow for warp speeds.
                    Some riders and the bike shops have told me there is no problem with the riot shield type units, but I have my reservations about that.
                    A friend of mine on this Island is the designer and builder of the words fastest pedal bike. We get to discuss foil shapes often.

Unkle Crusty
                    Bikes Now.
                    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

George

[QUOTE=yamtom;318535]Hi Crusty,

In speaking of your bicycle design friend, you are no doubt speaking of the bicycle world renowned George Gorgiev, if there is anyone on earth that can help design a slippery fairing it would be him. Ive never had the pleasure to meet him, nor even see in person , one of his faired recumbent bikes, but his fairings have held pedal records for more than a decade now. There lies genius.

George lives a few miles up the road from me, he is one of the motorcycle gang that meets for coffee and chat up Island.
                      I have been in his workshop and seen all the bikes.
                      We talk politics, bicycles ( I ride a bicycle to work and back four days per week ) foil shapes ( I also have three sail boats ) motorcycles ( George has a 250 ) conservation and much more. He is a small guy and used to be a stone mason. I get to tell the group what it is like to go really fast on a motorcycle, and haul on the front brake while racing at the track. That plus excessive lean angles. We are all old farts now. Roy rides a Harley and David an R1200 BMW.
                      We also have a Vincent and many other bikes on our small ( 12 X 2 mile ) Island.

For the rider a few posts back that goes 85mph two up, Georges bicycle with a rider from a nearby island, went 83 mph over a measured mile.
                      That is a decamile or one tenth the speed of sound, for which they won the $15,000.00 prize. His bicycle also has the ladies record.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

OT George

Hi Crusty,

It sounds as if youz have a goodly amount of fun out there.

I am glad to hear that George is doing well, the last I heard he had been recently diagnosed, but looks like he may have beat that, thank God.

Youz have a Vincent on the isle, eh? I have never seen one in person but have lots of pix on the puter.

Take care, Tom
                        Bikes Now.
                        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Up date.

Last Saturday I removed the last of the Vetter and installed a small National Cycle screen.
                          The Vetter is far to heavy.
                          The new screen is a bit small. There is more breeze on the top of my legs and more wind about the helmet, but I now have a point of reference.
                          It will be easy to make lower shields for the bottom part of my legs and feet.
                          The screen needs to come down the sides of the headlight to block the wind on the upper legs. This is all doable. I may even modify the Vetter.

Meanwhile: Yami is now going straight down the highway. Have not been past 140kph as I had to follow a cop car down the freeway.
                          Rear tyre pressure is critical for squiggle in the corners, new rear shocks will also help.
                          There is the slightest bit of a sticky spot in the steering head. Good enough for the street, not good enough for the track. But I was going to install new steering head bearings anyway.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

I am thinking like you

UC - I too am seeing how much the smallish wind screen I put on does not block enough wind - I was worried about losing top end speed but criminy I am not going to be going over 100 mph anyway the older I get - 85 is plenty for most situations

I am going to see about that Plexi Fairing 3 that someone else posted a while back and see how it looks if he posted a pic - it had the parts that extend down the sides of the headlight to block the legs a bit and has the full riot-shield look - good in case the world goes to pot I can grab the shield off the bike and fight the looters.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                              UC - I too am seeing how much the smallish wind screen I put on does not block enough wind - I was worried about losing top end speed but criminy I am not going to be going over 100 mph anyway the older I get - 85 is plenty for most situations

I am going to see about that Plexi Fairing 3 that someone else posted a while back and see how it looks if he posted a pic - it had the parts that extend down the sides of the headlight to block the legs a bit and has the full riot-shield look - good in case the world goes to pot I can grab the shield off the bike and fight the looters.

John
                              I am with you on this.
                              The bikes have enough horsepower to go 130 mph, and faster with a road racing fairing.
                              But for highway riding I think 105 mph now and then is plenty. So if we block a bit of wind for the sake of comfort, then that is okay with me.
                              And I would like to keep the rain off as best I can.
                              A bike shop that I visit in Langley BC, has an XS11 that has been to the track ( Westwood in BC ) It has a chain drive and custom frame and full RR fairing.
                              This is where I am getting my used parts. There were two XS11's in his shop this morning. One had a larger screen on it so I took a couple of photos.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Plexifairing 3 installed, good results!

Got my Plexifairing 3 installed, thought I'd post up what I can that might be helpful.

It was a very easy process to install it, however I will 100% concur with other posts that the instructions are horrible, but like it has also been said, it's not hard to figure out. As well, I went back to a thread or two on the forum and looked at some pics that were already posted of how the Plexi 3 looks when installed, and that really helped as well in terms of seeing the completed look, and giving me ideas for how to set mine up as far as postion of upper braces, location for approx area to mount the lower attachments on the fork tubes.

Since I installed it a week and a half ago, I've been fine-tuning it to get everything symmetrical in terms of the angles of the upper braces, small adjustments the lower mounts on the fork tubes, etc. It was very close to being just fine initially, but after a ride or two, I pick up on the fine tuning that can be done to make it "just right" and I'm picky about that stuff anyway.

The main thing I learned from years of windscreens on other bikes is that a small gap between the screen cut out and the headlight shell is a good thing, as it allows air to come in behind the screen which allows for smoother flow over the top and in my experience, less back pressure on the rider if backpressure is present with the screen mounted with the gap sealed between the cutout and headlight shell. I tried the gap set wider as well, and got some funky wind noises in my particular helmet, so I went to a small gap and it was a good middle ground.

However, the icing on the cake is the Laminar Lip spoiler that I have from my Honda ST 1300. I mounted it on the Plexi 3 screen, played with the positioning of it, and found the perfect setting, that cuts out most all of the wind noise and makes it into one of the best bikes I've ever had in terms of wind protection combined with smooth air all around, and minimal wind noise. I wear earplugs when riding, and it is a pretty quiet ride with just a light wind noise, and occasional louder noise when I hit a wind gust or get dirty air around semi trucks or following larger cars/SUV's. Not 100% elimination of the wind noise, but many times better than just the Plexi 3 itself.

Basically, the wind hits me from mid-shin down and just at the top of my helmet, and just a bit of breeze on the outer fingers of each hand on the grips. Much less wind on the hands to keep them happy when it's cool, like today riding into work with just leather gloves (no insualtion in the gloves) and 39 degree sunny temps when I left the house. Very little wind on my arms as well and with the Laminar Lip in place, I can ride with my face shield open with a very comfortable amount of air hitting my face, even at 75 mph. Your results may vary...

The caveat I'll throw in is I am 6'11" tall (yes, really tall) and so I face unique challenges in getting windscreens to do what I need them to do for wind noise, etc. If I duck my head down even 3 or 4 inches with just the Plexi 3 in place, my head is in a nice quiet pocket of air, so for 99% of all people the Plexi 3 alone should be great.

I'm not having any luck figuring out how to post a pic... Are the directions on how to do so accurate that I've found within the forum/FAQ? I'm just trying to insert a Jpeg, and it seems like it's harder than it has to be!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                                X