Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacwal Superwedge fairing

Came across this pic of a 78 XS11 with a vintage Jacwal Superwedge fairing - looks kinda spacy and futuristic, huh?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      Came across this pic of a 78 XS11 with a vintage Jacwal Superwedge fairing - looks kinda spacy and futuristic, huh?

John
      I take my previous statement back. That is even more ugly than the vetter V!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It's just my opinion...But that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen on ANY bike.
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

ha! I agree!

I thought so when I put it up, but the paint on that XS was soo pretty....

That fairing I think was for high mpg speed runs in the high desert of California back in the day...

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Fairing

So far I have found the " riot shield type " from Memphis Shades, the " speed demon " and the " bullet "
            Bike Bandit has the Slipstreamer " spitfire " and the " cobra "
            Niche Cycle has the Viper Sport which is a bullet type.

The old bath tub racing fairings that covered the front wheel were different, and probably worked quite well. Steering was limited. I remember seeing these in the fifties.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Correction

I got my home accessories mixed up.
              The old racing fairings were " Dustbin fairings "
              The " Bathtub " was a Triumph model.
              For the non British a dustbin is a garbage can.
              A " Tip " is a dump and a wind screen is a wind shield.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Here's my LG with a Maier Sport fairing

Here it is with a (I think) National Cycle smallish windshield

I have had the bike to 135 MPH (indicated on the speedo) with the Maier.
                The Nat. Cyc. was mounted on my E and I took it to (indicated on speedo) 143 MPH.
                The Maier mounts to the forks and headlight ears and is solid as a rock.
                The NC is handlebar mounted and is adjustable for tilt or removed altogether in seconds. It wiggles a bit but not really noticeable.
                Both direct wind from the riders chest area leaving arms and head in a steady wind. Tucking helps when going ballistic.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I know that the smaller windshields act differently on the MNS than they do on the standards. I rode a buddies and like his shield on his MNS. When we mounted it on the standard it was ok but not the same. Seating position is just different enough that I could never get it to feel the same as it did on his bike. JAT
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Here is one. Never used it though.

http://www.zpower.com.au/catalog/pro...313b5d42d45f2b
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Welding

I tried the plastic welder trick and it didn't hold. The glass cloth and ABS cement works really well, even when cracked by the mounting area...
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

[QUOTE=Pat Kelly;318208]Here's my LG with a Maier Sport fairing

Here it is with a (I think) National Cycle smallish windshield

Thanks for the info.
                        The Maier is similar to the unit at Niche Cycle and the other one does look like the small unit at National.

I was confident the bullet type / sport fairing would allow for warp speeds.
                        Some riders and the bike shops have told me there is no problem with the riot shield type units, but I have my reservations about that.
                        A friend of mine on this Island is the designer and builder of the words fastest pedal bike. We get to discuss foil shapes often.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

[QUOTE=Pat Kelly;318208]Here's my LG with a Maier Sport fairing

Just went to the Maier site. It is the best site so far for finding photos, sizes and model select applications. I will now take a tape measure to Yami.

I also appreciate the photos you included. My chrome fenders are rusty and I was considering painting them. My SV1000S Suzuki will be on the road next month which will give me time to do some repairs on Yami.

Yami will maybe see 105mph but I have no need to go any faster. Mrs Snippets has seen 110 on the Suzuki but it is not a good ride for the passenger. Hence one of the reasons for Yami.

Crusty

Comment

I did those warp speeds once just to see what the bike(s) were capable of firsthand. 100(ish) MPH is good for me now.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I usually hit a 3 digit speed on the way in to work, just to make sure the bike is running well. When I was younger, I would ride the '78, full dress, at an indicated 125mph down I5 in CA. It was happy doing that all day, AND got me home in a hurry.
                              These bikes are VERY STABLE at speed, as long as the tires/bearings/suspension is up to the job. If you have worn parts, you have play. At high speeds, you know what happens, as you've posted that you have some time on a track.
                              Your choice for a screen should be based on what seems to work the way you want it to. ANYTHING is a help over a "naked bike", IMHO.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Your choice for a screen should be based on what seems to work the way you want it to. ANYTHING is a help over a "naked bike", IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I am getting used to the protection from the rain. Yami is the winter bike, and the two up summer ride. It is insured year round.
                                In time I will resolve the other handling issues. Steering head bearings and rear shocks are at the top of the list.

At the track we used to hit 120 on 250cc Yamahas in the early seventies.
                                40hp and about 220 pounds, huge drum brakes up front and fairings that worked. TD2B was the last model I owned, the first to have six gears. They went to liquid cooled with the next model.

Crusty

Comment

Working...
                                X