No announcement yet.

Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus the V is about as ugly as you can get when it comes to fairing.....
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You know, I hadn't thought about that. The bottom shape is different on the V then all the others, and is the first one not actually designed by Craig Vetter (the Yamaha model was a Craig Vetter design with mods for the XS lights) and it's the only one that uses different lowers than all the others, having the straight bottom rather than the curved bottom like all the others.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Fairing

I will have a look later at my Vetter for a model number, but either way the Vetter is comming off for something smaller.
        Still no comments from users of other types of wind protection devices.
        Maybe I should have used a different title.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

The model # will be found on the left inside of the fairing, right above the wiring plug.

Sorry I don't have any more knowledge of smaller devices. I have never used one and as of this point do not know of anyone that does.
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Snippets View Post
            ...Still no comments from users of other types of wind protection devices...
            Well, I'm not a fairing user, preferring windshields. But for me it's more a looks thing as I just don't like the way they look. But if you're looking for better wind protection and less buffeting, that's not the choice to make. You'll get less protection and more buffeting compared to a fairing. Just my .02...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Like mine

I have a Vetter fairing and love it, but I've never ridden behind a Pacifico. I cut the windshield so I just look over the top when sitting straight up and only need a slight slump to be behind it in case of rain. Rain and highway speeds are easy I found last week when I was caught in a real "gullywasher".
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I have a Windjammer 4 on my XS1100G with a 14" high windshield so I can look over it as well. Buffeting is a problem but I wear earplugs and have rode so long this way that I don't even notice it. But it is a barndoor and on an isolated road somewhere in TX, I could only manage 105mph!
                But you have to give Craig Vetter credit. After removing lowers, it is four bolts and a wire harness disconnect and it is off; light enough for one man to do. Try doing that with todays bikes with acres of plastic, countless screws, tabs, catches, mystery locations, etc.

One more thing, it will survive a spill. Many years ago the bike went on its side at 45mph after hitting a large oil spill and the fairing and Krauser bags took the brunt of the damage. The fairing trim was ruined so I took it off and re-filed the damaged area but no cracks or shatters and the mounting frame was not bent; only the Krauser brackets were slightly bent wich was easily straightened. Something to be said about thick ABS plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Never been an issue on my Venturer. Bike tracks straight and VERY planted, even when tach has seen upwards of 7400rpm in fifth.......good thing this scoot will only run 85mph.........Reality being not be too quick to condem the fairing......just sayin'.....
                  I am with you motoman. I too have never had a problem of this nature with my Venturer. Took her up to (160kph) 100 MPH with no buffeting and went where i pointed her. If I recall correctly about 7400 rpm
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Model

[QUOTE=Dragon Tamer;317813]The model # will be found on the left inside of the fairing, right above the wiring plug.

Thanks for that.
                    It is a Windjammer IV, and has a crack as mentioned by another owner.
                    I think I will remove the lowers first, then later remove the big Vetter box and install my smaller roundish GIVI.
                    I will report on progress.
                    I was sure somone, or many, would be riding with wind shields and have some input.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Harley Riot Shield

Unkle Crusty,
                      I have ridden with the Riot Shield on a Fat Bob before - my buddy has a quick detach model and one time when I rented a Fat Bob to ride in the mountains with him I used it -

It does make a difference (in fact that is the trip that sold me on windshields period) and I had the thing well over 90mph (I'm being conservative but it WAS a rental) in the straightaways on the ride to Julian without any noticeable unpleasantness or shear.

I was able to hang on much easier with the shield - without it I felt I was fighting the road and the wind to stay on...

I just put a very small windshield on Great Ranger and while it cuts the resistance to my chest some on freeway at 80, it doesn't cut down buffeting to my helmet unless I duck down like a foolish youngster.

I am looking at a slightly bigger fairing (bar mount) as opposed to a bigger riot shield - I want to paint it to integrate with the bike and figure the fairing would be easier to do than the shield.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I ride both fairing and shield. The MNS has a SMALL shield to keep the wind down on the freeway, and it works well for that. My '79 Standards have fairings on them, with a rear box. I've had problems with handling once, and when I went through the front end, the problem went away. Seems the steering stem bearings were dry!
                        I would look long and hard at other factors on the bike. The fairing, or shield, will only ACCENT ANY problem. Just my $0.02 .
                        And yes, the plexifairing is a good shield, but even it will show up as "bad" if there is a problem with the bike.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

[QUOTE=Crusty Snippets;318123]
                          Originally posted by Dragon Tamer View Post
                          The model # will be found on the left inside of the fairing, right above the wiring plug.

Thanks for that.
                          It is a Windjammer IV, and has a crack as mentioned by another owner.
                          I think I will remove the lowers first, then later remove the big Vetter box and install my smaller roundish GIVI.
                          I will report on progress.
                          I was sure somone, or many, would be riding with wind shields and have some input.

Unkle Crusty
                          I've ridding mine both with and without the Vetter box. And with the Vetter box on the top and dragging behind . And didn't feel any difference in the ride at all. But a crack in the fairing, IMHO would be almost guaranteed to cause handling problems, cause you would be getting air into places it wasn't designed to get into. Where is the crack? That could have bearing on your issue. The Windjammers are indeed bar doors, they weren't built as speed machines but rather to keep the wind off you, but they WERE built to make the bike stable, and if that's not happening SOMETHING is wrong.

I've had three different Windjammers on two different machines, and the only one I had trouble with, was one that was not mounted correctly, which meant it was pushing the bike sideways. Don't know if it's a flaw in the fairing or just in how it was mounted, cause I took it off and put the IV that's on now onto the same mount and it works fine. I know that Vetter and crew spent a LOT of time making sure these things worked well if properly mounted, so if your getting buffeting, something is wrong with it, and if there is a crack that MIGHT be it depending on where it is, and if it is, fixing the crack could make it a totally different machine (there are several ways, using one of the glues made for the material used, or doing plastic welding, either of which work quite well.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Repairs

Repairs are easy. Just some ABS cement and some fibreglass cloth cut into small strips. Put cracks together like they are supposed to be then apply the glass cloth and cement with a brush on the inside and let set. Several layers work best.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                              Repairs are easy. Just some ABS cement and some fibreglass cloth cut into small strips. Put cracks together like they are supposed to be then apply the glass cloth and cement with a brush on the inside and let set. Several layers work best.
                              or you could get a plastic welder.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

[QUOTE=cywelchjr;318149][QUOTE=Crusty Snippets;318123]

But a crack in the fairing, IMHO would be almost guaranteed to cause handling problems, cause you would be getting air into places it wasn't designed to get into. Where is the crack?

The crack is on the inside black part and not letting any air in.
                                This is the first big heavy bike I have ever put a lot of miles on.
                                What I call buffeting others may call normal.
                                Maybe I am just used to bikes that go where you point them, any that did not I sold or refused to ride.
                                In my racing days I was fanatical about the above. Steering heads and swing arm bushings and balanced wheels, and back wheels that followed the front were high on my list.
                                Tucked in behind a good road racing fairing at 145mph is a real joy, no wind noise, just a screaming engine under your chest waiting to seize or blow up.
                                All the while hoping the brakes will work as planned for a tight corner approaching.

The decision is between a riot shield or a bullet shield.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Working...
                                X