Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing

I have decided that the Vetter fairing is too heavy and generates too much buffeting. It will be removed.
    I would be interested to hear what others have used, how it worked, the amount of protection and buffeting, and a safe top speed.
    Also: has anyone used one of the bullet style fairings? I would appreciate any comments on these.
    A rough measurement would indicate the top of the fairing needs to be about 15 inches ( could be 2 inches less ) above the top of the head light, and about 23 inches max, wide.
    So far I have visited the sites of National Cycle, Niche Cycle and Memphis Shades.

Unkle Crusty

You could try a Plexistar 2 or Plexifairing 3, both from National Cycle. They mount to the handlebars and offer fairly good wind protection.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I know that the Pacifico's are larger, but from what I hear, they cut through the air better and give a smoother ride, and a member on here has one for sale right now. It's new and never been mounted though, and might not be what your looking for, but it might be worth looking in to. And they have lots of room and space to mount a radio right into the fairing as well.

Of course you would need the standard headlight and turn signals for that fairing as that is what it used is the lights from the bike.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I don't think you're going to find any windshield that has less buffeting compared to a fairing, and you might see a small improvement in side winds (less 'sail' area). You'll save a few pounds in weight, but that's pretty much the only improvements you'll see.

Like Cy said, you might want to look at a Pacifico as they're supposed to cut the air better.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Helmet buffeting seems to be minimal behind a tall windscreen. Behind a shorter screen, the farther back from the top lip of the screen , the bigger the buffeting seems. Leaning in toward the short screen seems to reduce the buffeting.

Frame mounted fairings put any crosswind buffeting low onto the frame, which may cause the bike to lean or rock a wee bit. Very managable. The handle bar mounted fairings put any crosswind buffeting into the bars and the hands of the rider. Can surprise you. I find that the frame mount gives a calmer- handling ride. Of course, I'm running a handlebar mounted fairing.

Comment

Let me elaborate

Thank you for the replies so far.
            The Vetter has been referred to as a barn door.
            Changing lanes is a popular event in cross winds.
            Yami will not go straight down the rode around 130 to 140kph.
            So when I take a corner on the freeway Yami is wondering.
            It could also be from the large Vetter box on the back.

My SV1000S goes dead straight at 220kph. I am familiar with the head buffeting from a shorter fairing and the difference when tucked in.

That it not the problem with Yami. It is poor wind dynamics from the Vetter, and the top heavy nature of the Vetter that is making the bike move around.

I am familiar with the fancy fairings on the big V4 Hondas with the screen that goes up and down. They get a bit out to lunch at around 190kph.

BUT, Harleys are going faster than me with those plastic units that look like the shields the riot police use. It is those type of shields ( not the Pacifico ) and the bullet units, that I would like to hear about.

Unkle Crusty.
            PS, I have also been behind a road race fairing at high speed, as in faster than any of these Yamis could dream about.

Comment

I have had several bikes with Vetters. I really have nothing against them. But I have a Pacifico on my XS11 right now. I love it. The bike rides smooth at speeds up to 95 mph (doubt I will ever test it faster) and it cuts through the air very well. It also has a much stronger mount than a Vetter so it has much less movement on bumps. It is big, but that let's me ride in any weather, including rain.

Personal taste, I like my Pacifico.

Patrick
              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
              1969 Yamaha DT1B
              Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I don't know, maybe my Vetter is mounted different than anybody elses. I pegged my speedo today (85+) and while it was only a few miles of sorta heavy traffic, it was smooth as silk, some head buffeting but my shield is short so I needed to tuck just a little. I also have the full touring package, bags and trunk, been running the full setup for almost two years now, and can't say I've ever experience any significant buffeting at speed. Now I know that when they are mounted like they are supposed to be, they have a rubber piece between them and the mount and I don't have that, so it's a solid mount to the mount and solid to the frame so there is NO flex at all, which MIGHT make a difference (I don't like flex). I also used to have trouble getting the headlight to adjust properly when I first put this fairing on (it had a windjammer III on it when I got it and came with the IV with it and I put the IV which is what it came with back on), and when I changed engines and pulled the mount and everything and reinstalled everything and put it back together it ended up a little different and I was able to get the headlight setup perfect.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Never been an issue on my Venturer. Bike tracks straight and VERY planted, even when tach has seen upwards of 7400rpm in fifth.......good thing this scoot will only run 85mph.........Reality being not be too quick to condem the fairing......just sayin'.....
                  Last edited by motoman; 03-31-2011, 09:15 PM.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

On Craig Vetter's site he has an option where you can take a photo of the fairing mounted on your bike and he will analyze it. I think before I would go buying another that I would give that a try. My 78E will go north of the 100 mph mark without a wiggle and I have as much head buffeting as I do sitting here at my computer. JAT
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I have heard that Vetter trunks, especially when loaded too heavy, lighten the front of the bike and cause handling issues. I'm running a Pacifico with a shortened windshield, along with a 1 helmet sized JCW trunk, no problems at all. I like seeing over the shield rather than through it, especially in the rain.
                      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
                        I have heard that Vetter trunks, especially when loaded too heavy, lighten the front of the bike and cause handling issues. I'm running a Pacifico with a shortened windshield, along with a 1 helmet sized JCW trunk, no problems at all. I like seeing over the shield rather than through it, especially in the rain.
                        I have never had that problem on mine. If I load the trunk heavy (like 10 2-liter soda bottles), I can feel the added weight, but only as a top-heavy feeling in low-speed turns. I like the taller windshield in the rain, as it keeps the water moving up and over my helmet instead of hitting me in the face. The only down-side is that the drops gather at the top of the shield and slowly drip down the back side. I'm thinking I need to add some kind of lip to the top edge to prevent that...
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

OK. That's good news on Vetter trunks. Other factors are involved in poor handling, such as tire inflation, shocks, forks too.
                          I have thought about having two shields, short for summer, taller for spring and fall. New Pacifico shields are hard to find.
                          Laminar Lip makes an attachment that flips air up higher. I might try one of those.
                          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                            On Craig Vetter's site he has an option where you can take a photo of the fairing mounted on your bike and he will analyze it. I think before I would go buying another that I would give that a try. My 78E will go north of the 100 mph mark without a wiggle and I have as much head buffeting as I do sitting here at my computer. JAT
                            You just need to turn the fan the other way to fix that at the computer!!!
                            '79 XS11SF

Comment

You did not say which Vetter you have. I ran with a Vetter IV for years and liked it quite well. Last year it developed a crack in it and I replaced it with a V that I had sitting here. The V has MUCH worse buffet and wind drag than the IV and will be replaced as soon as I get the IV repaired.
                              The Old Tamer
                              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
                              X