Priming the oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming the oil pump

It may seem a stupid question, but more so if I don't ask it. My bike is upside down with the strainer cover off. To prime the pump, I pour oil through the screen into the pump. That's all there is to it? What keeps it from being undone when I flip the bike back over?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Marty,

For what it is worth, I have never primed the oil pump. I always pull the oil pump, and it gets drained out, when I perform the gear repair (five times so far). I have not once primed the oil pump. I do pull the plug wires or use no enrichment so it will not fire and turn the bike over using the starter until the oil light goes out, then re-install the wires and fire it up.

Never had a problem getting oil pressure.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

OK, that will do. Thanx! I saw the warning note in the service manual. I also remember having to prime an oil pump by packing it with Vaseline.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Marty,

Unless you pulled the pump apart, it's still got enough oil in it to give the pump a good seal. i think the priming thing is meant for a dry pump. OR in the case of big engines, where the oil has a long way to go to the mains / rods/ lifters, it's a good idea to pre-lube the motor by spinning the pump.
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
        X