No announcement yet.

Removing gauge glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fred, I've seen that done somewhere too, with the heat shrink.

This is the weatherstripping I used. I cut off one of the raised sections but left the base part below it. Then just peel off the paper exposing the sticky tape and wrap it around the guage leaving the gap on the bottom. The outer shell will compress the round portion of the rubber leaving a nice even seal. I painted it black after it had been compressed.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've seen photos (on this list? CRS is a pain) of Yamaha gauges held into their buckets with short lengths of giant shrink sleeve to serve in place of those unfindable dampers.
      Fred,

You saw that at XS650 Garage USA. PAMCOPETE posted it. It's not an easy site to search. I tried and gave up after a brief search.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I've taken the bezel off mine speedo twice and it isn't THAT bad! you DO have to be careful and the paint opener works great. You have go around it several times, lifting the lip a bit more each pass so you don't stretch it out too much. Putting it back together is a pain, but it is entirely possible to close it back up and have it look COMPLETELY stock.

ZERO marks on the outside of the housing. There will be some scratches on the flange, but this is covered by the gasket and the housing, so you can't see it anyway once everything is put together.

One note: you only want to pull that flange open just enough to pop the bezel off. The more you open it up, the more you work harden the metal where you are bending it. If it gets hard enough, it will crack when you bend it back closed.

In short, it can be done, but it does take a bit of time and concentration to do it right. I would guess that it took me about an hour to carefully open it up the first time and maybe 30 minutes to close it all up. Not too bad.
        -- Clint
        1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

This may be the one you guys are talking about with the heat shrink?
          http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index...5&page=1#39501
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

650 Garage

That's the one! It needs to be a tech tip on here.

Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Working...
            X