Removing gauge glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing gauge glass

The glass on my gauges has some marks and stains on the inside and I would like to clean them up. Wondering how to remove the front glass and frame from the guages - it looks like the black frame around the glass is pressed around the body of the guage. I guess I could pry it off but not sure how to do this without damaging the metal. Any suggestions?

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

Seriously, leave it alone if it's working. It is pressed on. There are a few options as far as getting it off and putting it back on. None of them leave it like new.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Ya live with it.....not easy to do and won't look great afterwards.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you really feel the need to open them, a paint can opener tool works pretty well prying under that lip. The glass is also glued in there so that'll have to be also carefully cut free. Do a search for speedo/tach repair for more tips.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I took the engine casing off and then used solvent with a Q-tip cotton bud to clean inside and behind the metal thing. It worked fine. It takes a bit of messing about to bend the Q tip round etc but, eventually, you can get the glass and the metal bit clean....
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

bikerphil is correct. Using a paint can opener is the best tool to use. I use it all the time when I need to open one up. I have a picture of one I use on here somewhere. You'd have to do a search for it. Just pry around the the edge with it until you get all the way around. It'll pop off and you can clean the glass.

Now to put the cover back on what I do is use a shop rag folded over a few times. Lay it on the side that will show. (glass side) And I use a pair of pliers to squeeze the cover back on. Just work your way around. Just keep a eye on your rag as it will wear out from squeezing so much. But if you take your time you'll get it sealed back up and it will be nick and dent free.

Good luck!
            Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
            87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
            93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
            71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
            69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
              bikerphil is correct. Using a paint can opener is the best tool to use. I use it all the time when I need to open one up. I have a picture of one I use on here somewhere. You'd have to do a search for it. Just pry around the the edge with it until you get all the way around. It'll pop off and you can clean the glass.

Now to put the cover back on what I do is use a shop rag folded over a few times. Lay it on the side that will show. (glass side) And I use a pair of pliers to squeeze the cover back on. Just work your way around. Just keep a eye on your rag as it will wear out from squeezing so much. But if you take your time you'll get it sealed back up and it will be nick and dent free.

Good luck!
              I would like to see the after pics!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by tri650 View Post
                The glass on my gauges has some marks and stains on the inside and I would like to clean them up. Wondering how to remove the front glass and frame from the guages - it looks like the black frame around the glass is pressed around the body of the guage. I guess I could pry it off but not sure how to do this without damaging the metal. Any suggestions?
                Hi tri,
                like they all said, don't bother.
                To pry up the back of the bezel all round (even with a paint can opener, Kudos on that brilliant idea btw) takes the skill of a watchmaker and the patience of a Saint.
                And coining the bezel back down again is quite a trick, too.
                Quick and dirty:- Chop the bezel into two C-shapes with a fine cutting wheel on a Dremel tool and pull the halves off sideways.
                Leave out one of the inner rubber rings and stick the thing back together with 5-minute epoxy.
                Only works once.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

OK, sounds like a lot of work. Just looking at the stain behind the glass drives me crazy when I ride the bike. I actually have an extra set of guages I could practice on.

On the subject, does anyone know where you can get the rubber gasket that goes between the guage housing and the glass frame? Could not find on Bike Bandit - no longer made. My gaskets are shot.

Comment

When I took my tach gauge apart last year to put a bit of lube in it to fix the needle wobble, it was exactly as described above... A good bit of patient work. See link below...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=tach+wobble

With that said, my gasket more or less came apart in my hands, but I did keep it, and my fix to make it look pretty darn nice was to put a nice even wrap of black electrical tape around the lense face/tach body that covered the old gasket. I put a bit of inward pressure on the lense face to put a bit of tension between that and the tach body so that the electrical tape tension helps make up for the lost tension and maybe some vibration reduction/weather sealing that the worn out gasket provided. Have too be looking close and know what you are looking for to see that the electrical tape is on. As well, the tape covers up the blemishes left on the crimped ring from prying it off.

Hope that helps!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

On the subject, does anyone know where you can get the rubber gasket that goes between the gauge housing and the glass frame? Could not find on Bike Bandit - no longer made. My gaskets are shot.
                      TC made some from weatherstripping and it may be in the tech tips. New ones are available from Yamaha. PN 3H3-83513-00-00 List price is $21.55 each. It's called a damper.

I found them for >$30 at Yamaha Sportscenter
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I've made them out of weatherstripping from home depot, worked great, had to cut an excess part off and paint it black though.
                        Last edited by bikerphil; 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          I've made them out of weatherstripping from home depot, worked great, had to cut an excess part off and paint them black though.
                          Yeah, if we could just find that stuff in black.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            I've made them out of weatherstripping from home depot, worked great, had to cut an excess part off and paint it black though.
                            Hi Phil,
                            I've seen photos (on this list? CRS is a pain) of Yamaha gauges held into their buckets with short lengths of giant shrink sleeve to serve in place of those unfindable dampers.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sorry natemoen. I have no after pics. But if you all really want I can take some pics of taking one apart and putting it back together. Maybe if T.C. likes what I put together maybe he can put it in the help section. You all just let me know.
                              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X