Modified Vacuum Petcock Blues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Vacuum Petcock Blues.

I apologize in advance, I searched some of the threads, but there were soooo many related to petcocks, I thought I would put my question directly to the forum.

Okay! My bike has vacuum petcocks, with modified tubes that were sealed under vacuum pressure to keep the vacuum diaphragm always open. (I'm assuming this is what is going on as I got the bike this way, but friends who have seen this seem to agree.)

So, when the bike is parked, the carbs will overflow into the air box and fuel spills out onto the floor. My question is what position should the petcock be in when the bike is parked PRI, ON, or RES? Or because of the addition of the modified "permanent vacuum" tubes, will it leak in any of these positions?
    Any ideas, why the vacuum tubes might have been modified, e.g. are the standard vacuum tubes problematic? What should I look out for if I reconnect the standard vacuum set up? Can I switch over to a non-vacuum activated petcock, and if so, is there anything special I need to do?

Thanks again.
    Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
    (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Modified petcocks or not, if you're getting fuel leaking into the airbox, your carb float needles / seats are leaking.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Without knowing how the person who modified them did the modification did it, there isn't really a way to know what position they need to be in, but to start with, if you get gas out of the airbox, you very likely have gas in the oil and will trash the bearings if you don't change the oil and fix the problem with the carbs right away. To get leaking from the carbs requires two things, leaking petcocks, and leaking needle valves.

It's unlikely that the vacuum tubes were sealed "with vacuum in them" as nothing rubber like a diaphragm is a perfect seal, so they would not stay activated. So likely the person in some way bypassed the vacuum portion of the petcocks (there are a couple of ways it can be done, only one of which I know of gives an actual off position). It helps to give the model and year of your bike in your tag line as it helps us to better answer your questions (you could manually put that in each question, but that's a lot of extra effort) more accurately.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

@DAVINCI

But if I can get the gas to shut off, I can put off rebuilding my carbs a little longer. I need at least one day of riding the cursed thing before I start wrenching on it again. That or maybe I'll buy some snazzy new bike, with fuel injection, digital ignition, water cooling, and anti-lock brakes. But why would I do that when I can wrench and wrench and wrench and wrench and...Oh! Sorry, you mentioned something about carburetors.
        Pat K

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

@Cy

Sorry, I thought my bike model was already in the signature. I will rectify that immediately.
          By the way, it's a 1980 XS11 Special.
          Pat K

Comment

While everything they said is true this link is the most cost effective petcock solution.
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=petcock+mod

That being said, you still need to check for oil in your gas, could make wording about leaky carbs a mute point if you spin a bearing... GL!

This mod only works if you have the older style pet cocks...
            Last edited by WMarshy; 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              ... you still need to check for oil in your gas...
              Er... gas in your oil... been up for nearly 20 hrs, can't tell if the glass is half empty or half full...
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

@WMarshy
                Thanks for the link! It looks like a good potential solution to the immediate issue. I'm a in a little over my head, when it comes to carbs, vacuum lines, and all the rest. I need to just grab my kayak and hit the damn river. If it floats your good.
                Pat K

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
                  @Cy

Sorry, I thought my bike model was already in the signature. I will rectify that immediately.
                  By the way, it's a 1980 XS11 Special.
                  Ok, specials don't have vacuum petcocks. Unless someone put a standard tank on, they have petcocks with two outlets, one that works in the prime position, and the other that works in the on and res position, and neither works in the off position. If you don't have 4 positions on your petcocks, then something has been changed and isn't the way it came from the factory for the special.

It sound like though that the previous owner (called PO) may have removed the Octy which is the vacuum operated fuel valve that comes on the specials in stock form, this is actually a pretty common modification, and it's generally recommended in that case to always put the petcocks in the off position when stopping, but you still need to fix the leaking petcocks, which on a 1980 if it's not been done probably needs the o-rings on the needle valve seats replaced as those wear out and let gas seep right past the outside of the needle valve seat.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    While everything they said is true this link is the most cost effective petcock solution.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=petcock+mod

That being said, you still need to check for oil in your gas, could make wording about leaky carbs a mute point if you spin a bearing... GL!

This mod only works if you have the older style pet cocks...
                    Being that he has a special he should have the off position already. But if his tank has been swapped for a standard tank, then this mod would be a good one for him, that or Davinci's mod (although the one you pointed out is a good bit easier to do).
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
                      - - - By the way, it's a 1980 XS11 Special.
                      Hi Pat,
                      A Special left the factory with gas taps that say:- off, res, on and prime.
                      Then there's at least 8 hoses that run to the carbs via a single vacuum operated valve; the dreaded octopus.
                      What's there now, who knows? Many have changed that set-up over time.
                      However, the gas is running out because one or more of the carb float valves ain't working right.
                      This is bad because not only will that make the bike run rich when it's running, it will let gas run into the oil when it's stopped.
                      You don't want that.
                      So, 2 fixes.
                      1) Fix the float valves.
                      2) Find an off position that works on the gas tap configuration that you have.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah, what Fred wrote
                        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

A picture of your petcocks and pic across the top of the carbs could help too.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

From first hand experience, don't like gas on the floor in the garage, or in my crankcase. PO had put wrong re-build kits in and I got to experience his inability to read part numbers. From here on out, this will be a annnual (winter) or at least every two year service to my bike. Piece of mind is what I'm talking about. Here are some pics of my XJ vacuum petcocks and also I will be tearing down the Octy at the same time (I'm one of the rare guys who use and love the Octy).

Comment

Jamie, those are pretty much if not exactly the same petcocks as used on the Special models. They are not, however, vacuum petcocks.

The Standards use a petcock that has a similar vacuum operated daphram to the one in the octy. In esence, they have tow octy valves, one on each side. Those are the vacuum petcocks.

HERE is the thread I put together on rebuilding the petcocks and the Octy. HTH.
                              Last edited by DGXSER; 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X