No announcement yet.

Is this the CCT I shoud be looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the CCT I shoud be looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1698wt_1165

It says 83 Venture 1200 which sounds right but I've never seen one so I just want to check before pulling trigger.

Thanks
    John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

That's the one.... bit pricey though.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

how much should it be?

I haven't seen them on there..

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Cct

Just put one on Looked just like it ,just like it, its plug n play all the way Steve's right little pricy mine was 9 cheaper with S & H and a lot cleaner and newer looking.

Comment

See they are a bit harder to come by used, but a year ago new they listed for $186 and change. With import cost going up substantually late last year, sure the cost is substantually more new.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Believe it or not I think Ivan stumbling on this mod made the cost of them skyrocket. When he first posted the mod, you could pick one up for about $10 + shipping ..maybe $5. I am pretty sure I got mine for $15 total. Some folks got two for $20 or maybe $30. Then in a month or so, the price was up to $50 for one. Now it seems to have settled out a little.

Law of supply and demand at work!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

And with the the fecal matter that hit the rotary impeller over there in the last week, the price on that stuff new is likely to go even higher and get even harder to get. And those unobtainium bearings, may become even more so. I'm unsure what the events in Japan are going to bode for parts availability for older Japanese bikes over the next couple of years.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

OK cy you convinced me...

Decided to bite the bullet and not let $15 stop me from making a good upgrade.

Thanks
                John

Comment

After the first swap I did, I decided these were the way to go. I only have 2 so far but need a few more....about 5... I would pay the difference if I was in a hurry but the stockers work just fine so I am in a wait a and see what comes around type mode. There are not that many XSers that even know about this swap when you think about it so I do not think we have driven the price up by much. Some hell yeah but not much overall. I will not bid on those just because they are a bit higher than I want to pay. Just my opinion.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I have said it before and I will continue to say it. The yamaha vision 550 tensioner fits with just about 2 swipes of a round file. I paid 6 bucks for it shipped.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate's choice another good option. From personnel experience myself having had the original style adjuster slip back while starting and not realizing it until under way when the motor sounded like a hay-bailer, I would'nt use a stock adjuster on a bet. Design is obviously the first flaw. The retainer bolt isn't an actual "set" bolt for this type of application. A long actual allen head type set screw is actually what's needed. Taking one completely apart and seeing all the set marks, some overlapping the previous I realized that over the years with the several set marks, what I believe is happening is when pressure comes against the adjuster shaft it WILL "walk" back to previous set mark. I believe this happens a bit easier if the adjustment only allows the shaft to move half the previous set mark. A temporary remedy to this, and could save some valves and a lot of expense if continueing to use the stock adjuster would be to file the flat portion of shaft back smooth before re-using. Have seen this happen on a number of occasions in large equip. applications using large self-centering bearings that get replaced on a regular bases. Hot plants, screening plants and shakers come to mind. These are excessive applications, but all realative to the same result over repeated marks being left on shaft. JAT based on my long time experience with this type of set-screw application and what happens when directional load/force is applied to what it supposed to hold stationary. Either way, IMHO a self locking/racheting type cam chain adjuster could make your day riding more enjoyable and save any (if your fortunate) top-end damage.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Angle grinder

Put a taper on the adjuster so it can only move in toward the cam chain and can't back out unless the set screw is loosened.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Cct

That Auto CCT that is in the venture is just not in the old Venture, somewhere on here i reasearhed how many years used this same CCT and did a post of that, see if i can find it and repost it.

83 to 2010 venture all has the same CCT
                          Last edited by cowboybob998; 03-21-2011, 11:30 PM.
                          1979 xs1100 f
                          142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                          !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                          when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Don't forget the vmax tensioner is the same part numbee from yamaha. I bought 2 dor 30 bucks a couple years ago. The vmax guys may not realize. We can use them.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=34899931845

Her is one for 39.95 my two looked better though. They were from either. An 06 or 96 I can't remember now...
                            Last edited by yamahansolo; 03-22-2011, 04:58 AM.
                            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                            8mm msd wires
                            tkat fork brace...
                            Fox shocks...
                            mikes650 front fender
                            led's gallore...
                            renthal bars
                            gold valve emulators
                            vmax tensioner
                            Rifle fairing

Comment

Those VMax tensioners are nice, I have one on my 79SF. As for the stock XS11 tensioner I have on my 79F, I took the plunger out and tapped the center hole with a 3/8" tap (no drilling required) as far back as the hold down bolt. Retaining the plunger, now a 3/8" bolt can be threaded in there with a lock nut as a stop. No possible way for it to slip now. Put some RTV on the threads so it won't seep oil, just have to be careful not to over tighten. This works great until I find another $5 VMax tensioner.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X