Carb. problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb. problem

Well I did it this time.. I don't know what happened but somehow the fuel/air mixture needle broke off inside the carb and I can't get it out. I noticed that the needle wasn't as far down as the others so I tried screwing it in all the way and I think I wedged it in there real good. Anyways, I don't know of any other option so I'm probably going to have to replace that carb. I tried pushing it out, but that didn't work and its to small to drill. But anyways, anyone know where I could get a single carb for pretty cheap, I have all new kits for it with all new jets. Thanks for any help.
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    Kirker 4-1 exhaust
    Individual Pod filters
    Cafe Racer Fairing
    LED turn and brake lights
    LED underglow

There is a thread here that you can use to make a tool to get the broken needles out.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=carb+needle
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by JacobAndrew View Post
      Well I did it this time.. I don't know what happened but somehow the fuel/air mixture needle broke off inside the carb and I can't get it out. - - -
      Hi Jacob,
      if one of those tricks don't get the needle stub out of there yes you can drill it out.
      Carefully. In a drill press. Making sure it's dead centred.
      A hand-held power drill is NOT your friend for this.
      It should take a 1mm (0.039") drill bit but if (like mine) your bench drill chuck won't grip a drill bit that small, a 1/16" drill bit will work too.
      You just don't thread the needle out as far.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'd let you use the tool I had my guy make but I loaned it to Les Dutcher and he broke the tip off.
        1978 XS1100
        1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I tried searching, but didn't find anything... I just got the nut picked up, but couldn't find a drill bit small enough, so I might have to just grind one down to fit. I'm hoping it works as good as it sounds. The only problem I could see is getting it centered right. Can't wait to give it a shot!
          '79 XS Eleven Special
          Kirker 4-1 exhaust
          Individual Pod filters
          Cafe Racer Fairing
          LED underglow

Comment

Well it isn't working as good as I hoped.. Everything I use for the needle either breaks or bends. I've never seen brass so tough before. I put them in the freezer tonight so hopefully that will help. I guess we will find out tomorrow...
            '79 XS Eleven Special
            Kirker 4-1 exhaust
            Individual Pod filters
            Cafe Racer Fairing
            LED underglow

Comment

Maybe the freezing will work for you, it didn't for me. I decided to take mine to a machine shop to have them drill it out since they have a precision drill press and a small enough drill bit. He came up with the extractor tool after I showed him a photo Ken provided of a tool. He used the tool instead of drilling and it worked. Cost me $50 but it was worth it to get them out and not mangle the holes.
              I tried pins, nail brads, picks, PB blaster.
              1978 XS1100
              1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

I should add that the guy at the machine shop did apply heat on one of them to get it to come loose.
                1978 XS1100
                1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

Working...
                X