New Project - 79 XS1100 SF - Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project - 79 XS1100 SF - Pictures

As always, thanks in advance for all your help. You guys really offer great thoughts. If you see anything I should be aware of if other pictures would be interesting to you, please let me know.

Finally picked up the bike associated with the carbs I asked about in an earlier post.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...identification

Not sure how the engine got blacked out but, at some point, this bike was well taken care of. Tank is beautiful. No rips in the seat. New valves (7) and cam chain. New Avon Roadrunner tires. Wiring was re-fused but I will do it again with a fuse block and no glass fuses. Side covers are great and I have the clutch cover, etc.

Any thoughts re: why there is no shaft for the kick start? Do I need a part?

Tank looks clean but it has been treated. Does that look like Kreem or something else?

Pipes are pretty nice except that the back end of both look like below. Do you think they just rusted out or did the PO cut them out for some reason? Any thoughts on using them or how to cover the end?

Thanks again,

Doug
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Pretty decent looking example... You shouldn't have much trouble getting it looking good.

'79 supposedly... well, you've got a bit of a frankenbike. You need to check the frame and motor numbers to see what you have. The motor is a '80 or '81, due to the lack of a kickstart shaft (unless somebody has changed the cover and removed the shaft). Rear footpeg supports are off a '81, and the taillight is a standard unit. The mufflers, somebody cut the ends out (more noise), that might be repairable if you can find some junk mufflers for parts. Missing the seat grabrail. But it looks like you have all the important stuff..
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As Steve said, based on the no kick start, but no circle around the Yamaha on the alternator it looks like either a 79 engine with the clutch cover changed out, or an 80 engine swapped into the bike.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Pretty decent looking bike! They got ya covered so far on your Q's so I won't be redundant!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks, guys. Any idea what was used to seal the tank?
          1995 KZ100P

Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
            Thanks, guys. Any idea what was used to seal the tank?
            Sealant? Can't really tell from this end. Doesn't look like a very good job of it from this end IMHO. A good job should look nice and smooth, if it's not, I'd be concerned about how well it's adhering to the inside of the tank.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

By the way, both the engine and frame have the numbers 3H3-006333 which suggests it is a 1979 SF with a replaced clutch cover.
              1995 KZ100P

Comment

By the way, both the engine and frame have the numbers 3H3-006333 which suggests it is a 1979 SF with a replaced clutch cover.
                Looking good so far!!!
                The kick starter gears would have had to be removed to put a 80/81 cover correct me if I am wrong
                Last edited by tinman905; 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM. Reason: missed a few words haha!!
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Any thoughts re: why there is no shaft for the kick start? Do I need a part?
                  As has been stated, your engine had some parts removed, hard to tell which ones without removing the clutch cover if not the tranny pan. clutch cover was replaced or a plug put in the kickstarter hole.

Tank looks clean but it has been treated. Does that look like Kreem or something else?

Kreme is typically whiter looking, but hard to say. Does look like it was done in colder weather than it should have been for it to layer up like that. But realistically, as long as it does not flake off and the tank does not leak who cares what it looks like in there.

Pipes are pretty nice except that the back end of both look like below. Do you think they just rusted out or did the PO cut them out for some reason? Any thoughts on using them or how to cover the end?

Yep, a PO definitely cut the ends off to "open" them up. There is also suppose to be a short piece fo pipe though that hole in the center that extend sout the end plate that got cut. If they were mine, I'd get a piece of pipe like the three you see in the pics as far as size, and wall thickness, put it in the center, and have a local fab shop weld a plate back on the end, letting the center tube extend out. That would put them back to factory (more or less).

Here is the factory tail pipe end, although kind of rusty...

Her eis one less rusty but with holes drilled in end plate to let it breath easier...
                  Last edited by DGXSER; 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

And just to let you see what is inside there......

From the small end, see the crossover coming in?

And here is the big end...

Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                    X