petcock washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock washers

When reinstalling my petcocks, one of the fiber washers that goes between the screw and petcock broke apart. Is there somewhere I can get these besides a dealer, or replace them with some other type washer?
    Robert
    79 SF

I got 4 new ones myself from bikebandit at a somewhat reasonable price. They now list 78/79 XS11's in addition to 80/81s they listed before.

Dont try using a normal metal washer or a nylon washer, they might work for a little while, but you'll be sorry you used them in not too much time.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hey there Rob,

I've seen felt washers at my local hardware store. When I did my relining of my tank, mine were junk, but I went and used some neoprene type rubber washers on mine, been there for 2 years+ and no leaks so far!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Robert, my Kawasaki uses nylon ones, instead of the fiber disks. I picked up some at Home Depot and they work great.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Just another quick note about the nylon washers : I used a set a few years ago, they lasted about 2 years until I took the petcocks off to rebuild them, and the darn things pretty much disintegrated. No leaks or anything up to that point.
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Petcock washers

Are you talking about those that are the screws?What I did since my luck with things like that are, they will leak,is get a tube of Permatex-2 form a gasket sealant{non-hardening pliable sealant}.Worked real good on my tank,didn`t leak.The good thing about this stuff is,can take the parts off no problem.I put a thin bead all the way around the petcock where rubber o-ring is and some on the screws,tighten down good will see some excess on out side easy to cleanup.Hope this helps.
            Bill Harvell

Comment

I did the same thing, I used Permatex, no leaks, in last month. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
              X