NOS gaskets??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS gaskets??

hey folks...... doing some final spring prep on my XS11 and I need a new valve cover gasket and a fuel sending unit gasket possibly and I priced them out on bikebandit.com and the valve cover gasket is over 40 bucks. Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any other places that sell these things that has a less outlandish price, gotta save money for my new paint job
    Abe
    1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
    poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

We don't need no steenkin' gaskets! Actually, the only gaskets you need are the float bowl gaskets and the Head gasket. All others can be made with RTV (the stuff in a tube). I prefer "The Right stuff", as it comes in a pressurized can and makes application a lot easier. RTV is also a LOT easier than a gasket to remove the next time you have to get in there for a valve adjustment or other work. HTH
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, individual gasket prices are outrageous. You can buy a complete aftermarket set for about $100.

For the valve cover, many just use RTV silicon sealer with no gasket. For the fuel sender, I don't know if that will work, but if not, try McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=b9e6yl They sell all sorts of sheet rubber, I'm sure they'll have something that will work for cutting your own gasket.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        We don't need no steenkin' gaskets! Actually, the only gaskets you need are the float bowl gaskets and the Head gasket. All others can be made with RTV (the stuff in a tube). I prefer "The Right stuff", as it comes in a pressurized can and makes application a lot easier. RTV is also a LOT easier than a gasket to remove the next time you have to get in there for a valve adjustment or other work. HTH
        Almost correct there bug. But one of the other things you can't use RTV for is the sending unit gasket, as that is directly exposed to gas. I would have to ask if it's being replaced because it's leaking or just because? You should only need to replace that gasket if it's actually damaged and/or leaking.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Valve cover gasket $11 here...

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs1100/?filters[fitting]=custom
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Or..if you want to cut your own...

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Gasket

When yu put that gasket on, use RTV between the gasket and the cover and spray Pam on the other side and the head. That way, next time you can use the same gasket as it will come off with the cover cleanly.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The trick we learned in high school shop class was to rub some grease on one mating surface, press the part down on a sheet of gasket material, then cut to the grease mark with whatever sort of xacto knife you have. A regular paper hole punch makes the holes way easier than carving them.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                  A regular paper hole punch makes the holes way easier than carving them.
                  Never ceases to amaze what can be learned here.... I've been making my own gaskets for over 30 years and not bloody once have I thought of using one of those. What a friggin brilliant idea. I have a full set of wad punches and the 6mm one gets the most use... not any more..

As for a sealant.. I prefer 3 Bond, or Yamabond (same stuff, different label)
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

There's a Gasket Template Library on the XS1100UK site. So for a small gasket (below A4 size) you can print it directly onto gasket paper then cut it out.
                    Brian
                    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I was thinking RTV (specifically the right stuff brand) for the valve cover, and the fuel sending unit gasket isnt leaking but i have to pull my sender so i can get whatever is rattling around in my tank out........ and no its not the sender thats rattling around.... im thinking the socks came off my petcocks and are bouncing in there, that or the guy who owned the bike before me took em off and never put em back on
                      Abe
                      poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

Comment

Originally posted by 1981XS View Post
                        I was thinking RTV (specifically the right stuff brand) for the valve cover, and the fuel sending unit gasket isnt leaking but i have to pull my sender so i can get whatever is rattling around in my tank out........ and no its not the sender thats rattling around.... im thinking the socks came off my petcocks and are bouncing in there, that or the guy who owned the bike before me took em off and never put em back on
                        That's likely them that you hear rattling around in there. However, I had that happen and was able to remove them from the tank without removing the sender, I just worked them around to the filler area and managed to get them out that way. And those are critical to proper operation (whether you care about what filtering they do or not) as they are what give you the reserve function, without them, on is the same as reserve.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

yea Cy I remember a ride i was on last summer and we did way over the miles id ever done on one fuel tank.....was really kind of amazed that i didnt have to switch to reserve, well after pulling my petcocks out i could see why i didnt have to switch to reserve.....definetely glad we stopped for gas when we did
                          Abe

Comment

The Right Stuff

Hey Bug, is the sealant that you are talking about the same as the stuff in the weatherproofing dept. of Home Depot?
                            1979XS1100SF
                            K&N's and drilled airbox
                            Jardine 4in1
                            Dunlop Elite 3's
                            JBM slide diaphragms
                            142.5 main jets
                            45 pilot jets
                            T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                            750/850 FD mod.
                            XV 920 Needle Mod.
                            Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                            Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by Toolmaker Tim View Post
                              Hey Bug, is the sealant that you are talking about the same as the stuff in the weatherproofing dept. of Home Depot?
                              No, the stuff he is talking about is sold in automotive stores and is for automotive use. The stuff in the weatherproofing dept of home depot will not work on an engine and will not hold up to oil.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                              X