wiring rear running lights question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring rear running lights question

I have an unusual setup for the rear lights. The PO drilled holes in the brake housing and put in running lights.
    The running lights have a single wire to the bulb seat.
    The Turn signals are in there original place attached to the frame with their respective wires running to proper locations (i.e. not tapped into the brake wires).

Im currently cleaning up the POs wire mess in the brake housing and thought Id ask if this is going to explode when I turn the key.
    PO had 3 wires wrapped around 3 different bolts (attempt to ground?).
    Should I ground running lights to fender? If so, how and where do I put it?
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

if the running lights only have 1 wire then they are probably designed to ground through the "stalks". I seen a lot designed that way.

As for what you should do - I like to have my stuff actually grounded so when I added running lights I connected my ground wires to the ground wire that runs to the rear for the brake and tail light.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Hey Redshirt,

The rear turns are often grounded thru a large washer on the INSIDE of the fender around the signal stalk, but it gets dirty under there, and rusts/corrodes, and that's where a lot of folks' grounds go bad.

You can attach a wire to a good frame grounded bolt somewhere under the seat, and then run the wires to the lights if you want.

The thing to think about is how much power drain the extra running lights will put on your system? How many watts are the bulbs. Many are about 8 watts, which is 3/4 amp per bulb ALL THE TIME drain. Remember that the XS's charging system is rather weak, not much room for adding extra lights without overloading/draining the battery.

I burned out a Reg/Rect unit on mine by adding a pair of running lights, along with some aux driving lights. SO....you might want to look into converting to LED's for the running lights and brake lights!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That or doing the alternator mod that you're in the process of developing and documenting.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ohhh THOSE washers. I will clean it up under there and put those back in then
          I planned on putting LEDs in the rear running lights. Mylocal Autozone has some 1156R Superbright LED replacements in stock and I almost bought them today. Tomorrow I will go back and get them.

Im still alittle confused about if I should ground ... something... with an additional wire to ??? something?

What if I tried this:
          1. Take a wire
          2. wrap a stripped portion under the fender bolt
          3. run it under the fender
          4. up into the brake light housing
          5. connect it to a bolt that secures brake light housing to fender

will that work?
          79 Special
          2012 FJR1300

Comment

That would work but you could also run it to a bolt closer to where the light is. it does not have to be run all the way to the brake light housing.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Uhhh... there should be a black ground wire in the taillight housing already...

Why would you need another ground?
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Uhhh... there should be a black ground wire in the taillight housing already...

Why would you need another ground?
                The ground that exists runs directly from the bike into a bullet connector for the brake tail only. Not to the running lights. Those are single wire (purple ones in the pic). The only thing I did was remove the 3 loose/underbolt wires he had strung up.
                All the connections Ive made are the 2 running lights into the blue wire and the blue wire to its fender blue wire bullet connector.
                There might be some "magic" that makes that one ground connection good for them all, but color me stupid 'cause I dont know squat.

What Im really asking is If I can run these as illustrated with no additional wires inserted into the mix.
                Last edited by Redshirt; 03-01-2011, 11:02 PM.
                79 Special
                2012 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt View Post
                  The ground that exists runs directly from the bike into a bullet connector for the brake tail only. Not to the running lights. Those are single wire (purple ones in the pic). The only thing I did was remove the 3 loose/underbolt wires he had strung up.
                  All the connections Ive made are the 2 running lights into the blue wire and the blue wire to its fender blue wire bullet connector.
                  There might be some "magic" that makes that one ground connection good for them all, but color me stupid 'cause I dont know squat.

What Im really asking is If I can run these as illustrated with no additional wires inserted into the mix.
                  You generally want to have as few separate ground runs as you can, you can get what's called a "ground loop" if you have too many of them, and that can cause other electronics problems. That's why you want to get to the frame as quickly as possible, as it's a single ground.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                  X