• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elec question: headlight and key on

79 special.
    Key on, without trying to start it.
    Head light does not come on.

Question: does the headlight stay off until the engine is running? Or am I in search of a problem?

This is after I added a fairing with headlight in it. I carefully worked out the connections with the wire diags and HOPE its not my fault.
    Right turn sig works. Brake light works. Rear running lights work.
    Left turn sig DOESNT work and didnt when I bought it.
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

I know that my light doesn't come on until the engine is running. I believe that is how they are supposed to work.
    1981 Special- currently under construction

Comment

Ok. How about this one:
      I tried again, but this time I turned on the high beams ... and the headlight came on.
      Low beams dont come on with only the key on and not turning the engine over. Im waiting for thin fuel lines before I hook my carbs back up.

and now.. the right turn signal doesnt blink. Just stays on.
      Grrrr!
      79 Special
      2012 FJR1300

Comment

I just went out to the shop to check. I don't get hi beam or low beam with just the key on. They do both work with the engine running. The signal could be a flasher problem??
        When you say the left doesn't work, do you mean the front and rear?
        1981 Special- currently under construction

Comment

Correct. Front or back. However.... Im digging into the signal switch and have found that the wire contact to the left turn signal part of the switch is disconnected. The factory solder broke free. Im thinking of testing my limited soldering abilities to attempt to connect it.

Could this disconnect cause problems elsewhere?
          79 Special
          2012 FJR1300

Comment

The headlight shouldn't come on until the motor starts; there's a relay that look for output from the alternator before it closes and enables the headlight. The running/taillights do come on with the key. The fact that the highbeam is coming on with the motor stopped would point to either altered wiring and/or maybe a defective RLU.

The turn not blinking could be a poor ground, poor connection, or the wrong lamp in one of the signals on that side. Try swapping the lamps side-to-side; if the problem changes sides, it's the bulb(s), if not it's a connection.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I pulled the handlebar switch apart, inspected, and accidentally popped another connection off
              Luckily, this gave me the chance to clean and resolder the connections. Thanks to the repair tip on this site I gained insight to how it works.
              Now Ive reassembled everything and the right front running light/blinker works as it should. The left run/turn sig does not. When I engage the left blinker, the light stays on.
              Also, the running light portion does not come on and only when the switch is thrown does it light (and stay on for front and back). No blinky blink.

The bulbs are identical but I switched them anyways.
              Strangely, the left running light works but the right doesnt. Turn on the signal to left, stays on, no blink. Turn on right, blinks, no running light. There are 1034's in the front. Is this wrong?
              Last edited by Redshirt; 02-27-2011, 05:37 PM.
              79 Special
              2012 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt View Post
                Strangely, the left running light works but the right doesnt. Turn on the signal to left, stays on, no blink. Turn on right, blinks, no running light. There are 1034's in the front. Is this wrong?
                If you still have the OEM round turn signals, you shouldn't have a running light; only the standard models had those (it should be noted that the Specials have the wiring for running lights in the harness, but they weren't fitted). All lamps/sockets should be single element. If they are, then the one that is 'on' is misconnected; this should be plugged into the brown wire in the bucket which is the left turn feed.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Sorry, I should mention that I just rewired and installed a vetter fairing with front runs/turn sig combos.
                  79 Special
                  2012 FJR1300

Comment

Well, then double-check your connections (blue wire for running, brown left, dark green right) and make sure the sockets are good. As to the 1034 lamps, if you still have the OEM flasher that may be the issue as those don't quite present the same load as the 'motorcycle' 27 W lamps. The one side may work due to enough 'other' losses elsewhere in the circuit. I'm assuming the rear signals are doing the same as the fronts....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

yes, rear does whatever front does.
                      79 Special
                      2012 FJR1300

Comment

Hi Redshirt. It's the later model Specials that have the "motor running only" relay for the headlight fitted. Your '79 should light the headlight without the motor running and ignition on and controlled by the switch on the right switchblock.
                        Regarding the indicators, I'd be checking all the earths from them plus making sure all connectors are tight
                        79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                        *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                          Hi Redshirt. It's the later model Specials that have the "motor running only" relay for the headlight fitted. Your '79 should light the headlight without the motor running and ignition on and controlled by the switch on the right switchblock.
                          Regarding the indicators, I'd be checking all the earths from them plus making sure all connectors are tight
                          Eveready1100;

That may be true for the Euro and some Canadian models, but not the USA versions.
                          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                            Eveready1100;

That may be true for the Euro and some Canadian models, but not the USA versions.

My '79 special's headlight does not come on till I start it and mine is a canadian model.
                            '79 XS11SF

Comment

Sorry TRdriver, I guess I was being a bit generalistic in my post.
                              Your bike'll be a 3H4, so may have the gizmo fitted.
                              Mine's a 3H3, which according to all the info on this site, was a US market bike and it doesn't have one of those relays.
                              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
                              X