elec question: headlight and key on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
    Sorry TRdriver, I guess I was being a bit generalistic in my post.
    Your bike'll be a 3H4, so may have the gizmo fitted.
    Mine's a 3H3, which according to all the info on this site, was a US market bike and it doesn't have one of those relays.
    Then it would be a modified bike, as ALL U.S. market machines had the headlight relay. Federal law required all bikes sold in the 1980 model year and later to have the headlight on when running. The XS1100's had that included from the begining, but IIRC you could turn the switch for the headlight (if it has one) on to force the headlight on before the engine is running on the 78 and 79 models, but once it's on it stays on till the ignition is turned off as it causes the headlight relay to energize and latch.

But, ALL 1980 Yamaha bikes sold in the U.S. had the headlight relay system (at least all the street bikes).

I'd guess that yours has the socket for it, with a wire plugged into it to bypass it (it's easy to do, just takes a single jumper which makes it look like the relay is there and always latched on). I ran my 1980 XS400 like that for about 3 years because the diode went bad, and I didn't want to dig into the harness to replace it. You can also unplug the relay to keep the light off with the engine running if your doing tuning work and don't want the load of the headlight on the system.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Then it would be a modified bike, as ALL U.S. market machines had the headlight relay. Federal law required all bikes sold in the 1980 model year and later to have the headlight on when running.
      Mine was manufactured 3/79, before it became mandatory
      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Mine was manufactured 3/79, before it became mandatory
        Mine was made in 11of 77 and mine has the relay. It does have the headlight on off switch as well but that switch only controls the light BEFORE the engine starts. Once the engine starts the light cannot be turned off.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          Mine was made in 11of 77 and mine has the relay. It does have the headlight on off switch as well but that switch only controls the light BEFORE the engine starts. Once the engine starts the light cannot be turned off.
          What I was going to say. It became mandatory for all bikes sold in the U.S. in 80, but all U.S. XS11's had the relay from the factory. If you don't have it, it's been modified or is not really a U.S. bike.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            What I was going to say. It became mandatory for all bikes sold in the U.S. in 80, but all U.S. XS11's had the relay from the factory. If you don't have it, it's been modified or is not really a U.S. bike.
            yeah, I was trying to argue that for you.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to upset anyone. I guess mine must've been altered before I got it. I'll investigate further the next time I've got the tank & seat off.
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

No one is upset. Just clarifying.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi Redshirt. It's the later model Specials that have the "motor running only" relay for the headlight fitted. Your '79 should light the headlight without the motor running and ignition on and controlled by the switch on the right switchblock.
                  Regarding the indicators, I'd be checking all the earths from them plus making sure all connectors are tight
                  I can definitely say for my US model 79 standard, it has the head light relay and the headlight will NOT come on until the engine is running. It also stays on, even with the engine off, until the switch is turned off.
                  -- Clint
                  1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Working...
                  X