No announcement yet.

Best way to decarbon an engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, a stint at Arizona Automotive Institute will teach you little things like that! I also had my dad AND grandfather who were mechanics. Grew up using B12 or water to clean up engines.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

hi mike,
      in a previous post i stated the only real way was to
      pull the engine down and clean the carbon off manually,
      theres no trouble in connecting up a cpl of hoses and sticking
      it in some water, was more out of curiosity than any thing else,
      it was something i had done many years ago on cars i had when
      i was younger, personnaly i think it might clean up the top of the pistons/combustion chambers and exhaust ports, but wouldnt get into the lower part of the piston where the oil rings are and where carbon can build up.

hi ray,
      water injection has been around for many years so
      not to sure about doing it once every 10,000k's and ive never
      heard of it burning pistons or heads, not saying that it isnt posible
      just never heard of it before.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

C'mon guys,
        you are only doing half of the job by spraying water or patented jollop into the carbs.
        No matter how well it takes the crud away it can't re-lap the valve seats, eh?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Had one local when I was young who thought if a little is good, a LOT would be better! His car ran really well for a little while, and then lost all it's power. He had put holes in the top of two pistons! Saw the engine apart with my own eyes, and I saw his homemade water injection system. he went through about a gallon of water for a tank of gas!
          Even in WW2, they had water injection on some of the fighters. They could only use for a SHORT period of time. More than two minutes would kill the engine.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

They use water injection on B52 bombers on takeoff. With the weight added over the years what with new equipment and stuff added, they now reportedly need 110% power on all 8 engines PLUS water injection to get off the ground with a full load. (generally only military craft even have a 110% setting, which is considered only usable for short periods). Used to watch them do touch and goes at Ramey air force base in Puerto Rico when I was a kid. Was pretty impressive, most planes fly into the air when they leave the ground, the B52 or Buff looks like it's pounding it way into the air. It's amazing that those things are older than I am for the most part (they were still making them in the early 60's though so it's not true of all of them) and they STILL have not been able to design a strategic bomber that can do the job better than they do.

Last I saw, they are slated to continue in service till at LEAST 2032, and most of the parts for them have not been made since the late 60's. Just goes to show that if you build it right, they just keep on going and going, kinda like these bikes.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Please forgive me I'm a little thick. I should take off my air filters and shoot seafoam or water into my carbs????
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

xs11lover,
                u could use either, i havent used seafoam
                i dont think we get over here, ray posted earlier what to do with the sea foam,
                if u wanna use the water squirt it from a spray bottle.

ray,
                problem with home made water injection is its usually put on wrong,
                connected to a vac port, where most of the water would
                be sucked in during decelleration, instead of having a sufficient
                pump that squirts it in during acceleration where it is needed most.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X