X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing pickup coils

1980 XS1100G
    120,000 miles.

Back in Sept 2010 I wrote a thread on how my XS11 had an intermittent starting problem which exists to this day. The starter would spin the motor but provided no spark to the spark plugs. Today I found the problem; both pickup coils are cracked. And these are the original ones.
    Does anyone have an idea where I can locate a coil assembly? Or can epoxying the cracks help?
    And it seems straightforward to replace it. Because the 1980 model has those factory sheared bolts I do not want to disturb the base. The coils rest on a bearing and after removing the timing plate there are three screws that hold that bearing/pickup coil assembly to the base. Is it easy to remove the bearing/pickup coil assembly from the base or can the pickup coils alone be removed? Are there any locating pins or bosses so the timing is not disturbed?
    Thanks for any help.

Pm andreas here, he may have a set for sale, otherwise ebay. The pickup coils themselves can be removed. They ate not on any sort of mounting pins other than the screws that hold them on. As long as you put them.back in the screw holes, the timing will be fine, they are meant to be slightly adjustable so that you can set the gap between the coils and the reluctor wheel to no more than .7mm.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You said the plate bolts were sheared....that sounds like the 81 model where they did not want you to adjust the timing. I thought all previous models had bolts to be loosened or adjusted.

Anyway, I have the complete timing assembly from an 81 Special if you want/need it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

The 80 had the same thing, but retained the mechanical advance for both RPM and vacuum where the 81 kept only the vacuum as mechanical. Frankly it's almost trivial to drill out those snap off head screws and I just left the fitting they go in and grabbed two of the bolts for the cam cover from my old engine to replace them when I swapped. They came out just right, and let me loosen and tighten them with the same wrench I use for the rest of the engine.

You can ask psycoreefer, I adjusted my timing by ear while he stopped for gas on our ride. Of course at this point I have it right about where it seems to work best running mid grade, giving best performance and mileage. I tried tuning to best for the standard unleaded and it didn't do as well, lot more noise (I think the same as described as being from the vacuum advance as I don't get it with it disconnected) and I can get better mileage and performance on the mid grade fuel with far less noise, so overall I'd rather spend the extra money for the mid grade and have the better ride-ability and performance (and less of that stupid knock noise).

But the 80's were not adjustable for timing from the factory, I can confirm that, mine was virgin when I pulled the original engine.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Honestly, I think your problem is with the wires. They always are.

Have you absolutely ruled that out? Are you clear how to?
          Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 02-20-2011, 05:30 AM.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

The wires are not broken; I have pulled them and none of them exhibit the thinning of the insulation as seen in other posts. But there is physical cracks in the coil housing. These are the original ones and have seen 30 years and 120,000 miles of riding through all kinds of temperature ranges. Really a testament to 80's era technology. I doubt you would see this kind of longevity today.
            Anyway, the search is on to find a set through NOS or the local boneyard. Dallas has several.

Comment

Nikon, the pickups from any year or model XS1100 will fit your bike.

Good luck with your search.
              Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Pick-up coils

I got new ones from parts n more a few years back. Kinda pricey, but my wires were broke right next to the coil. These new ones were a different style, supposedly indestructable. Don't know if they still have them. Bolted right on, still work fine.
                put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                79 F (Blueballs)
                79 SF (Redbutt)
                81 LH (organ donor)
                79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                X